How long?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyCuts, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

10,000 sq ft. lot, 2 men (or my wife and I), 2-21in WB's, 1 weed eater, 1 edger. How long to do this on average?
  2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Where in IOWA are you and if I am not mistaken - it is like middle of winter, 10 degrees out and you should be pricing snow removal? But at the same time, come on man - 10K and your asking the ? for time with a 21??
  3. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

Landscape? trees? obstacles? Open? If open a few trees and such - 45min??

It use to take me 45min to do my 7500Sf yard by myself but nothing fancy - just a simple cut so the neighbors didn't complain....
  4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on how fast you both can walk and mow and trim I would say 35 - 45 min.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

No way you are going to do a 1/4 acre lot with a 21" mower in 35-45 minutes. More Like 1.5 - 2 hours....trimming, edging and blowing. (Depending on how much trimming)
  6. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Grits, you must be horribly sloooooooooowwwww. All I ran this past year was 2 21's on lots that size and not 1 took longer than 45 min.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Is this 10K sqft the amount of grass or the size of the lot with a house on it?
    The time would depend on several things. The amount of edging that needs to be done- is it a corner lot with a sidewalk that also needs to be edged? Are there a lot of beds that need to be edged? Are you bagging (lots more time) or discharging or mulching? I would think that with a 21" there wouldn't be very much line trimming but that would depend on the lot.

Is this a theoretical question so you will know how much to charge you clients? Or are you wanting to know if you are in the norm with how long it takes others to do this same area?

I would say it should take about an hour if both of you are humpin it.
  8. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

in my part of the world i would charge 40 dollars who cares how long it took me with 2 21s any more money and someone w/ s 3 60s would get the work
  9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

1 hour 1 21 inch bagger i man i weedeater i blower. If you dont think so come watch me this spring. I might can do it faster if I feel like busting it.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

As somebody already asked, clarify the 10K sq ft -- you said "lot," but often people here mean the area of turf to be mowed. Whether the 10K sq ft means gross lot area, or turf area to be mowed is a big difference.