how long

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by calsconstruction, Feb 28, 2010.

1. calsconstruction

calsconstruction LawnSite Member

how long does it take to mow 15 acres when you can only use a 42" mower do to tightness

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

According to Exmark's website, you can mow 1.35 acres per hour with a 42" mower going 4mph. So it could take you around 11 hours if you can only go 4mph. Now, if you can go 6mph, than it would take you between 7-8 hours. It all comes down to effeciency.

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

is there no possible way to extend a gate or is it just overall tight with trees or shrubs?

4. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

We never come close to the numbers on the efficiency charts. Thats our experience though and could just be that we are slow.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Two to three days, assuming the 42" is commercial grade.

6. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I can cut about 2 acres an hr maybe a little more somtimes with my 52"
    That is mostly wide open area. Is the space wide open with just a small access or what?
    I would guess that with a 42 it would be about 1.25 acres per hr. Give us some more details so we can help you out.

7. calsconstruction

the problem is it has a lot of trees and in front of most trees theres a stone with the name of the people that planted/donated it. the lawn area is broken up into many sections about 80 x 80 with about 20-30 trees to a spot. its like an old army base and lawns around the buildings spread out over 25-30 acres of land.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to put 2 days on it for 1 man so about 900.00.

9. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I would say if it has alot of trees you can figure that your are at least going to take 2 full days if you are doing it solo. If it were me I would estimate 22 man hrs just to be safe. You should figure in gas and mower replacement at around $150 since you will be racking up the hours you have to make sure you figure that in your overhead for this paticular job.

I would stay around 1000 bucks with the bid unless its a job you can cut corners on weedeating. Some jobs that are larger like that we would scalp down to the dirt with the weedeater and section it off. Do a different section each time rather then the whole thing and it never looked bad.

10. calsconstruction

sounds good, we are just getting into this and didnt know how long it would take. i think with a 42" deck on a walker with that forward design i can cut down on a lot of trimming.