How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfsolutions, Dec 6, 2007.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

A potential customer passed this WeedMan estimate on to me asking if I can come close to this price. Could you?

5000 square foot, flat, fairly open lawn but has some nooks and crannys

6 steps - 2 with no fert

$30.49 per step tax included, pre pay price
    $61.01 for aeration with tax, pre pay price
    $50.52 for merit with tax, pre pay price

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm....

Six steps at 30.49 each = 183 + 60 + 50 = 185
    All pre paid....
    For what, 5k square feet, are you kidding me?
    That's not even a third my smallest size, not even an 1/8th of an acre.

Idk wth a step is, I'd have to guess merit is some type of weed control...?
    And they have to pay before anything at all gets done, what if the guy never shows up?
    They want to pre pay, they want a better price so they take their chances.

Dude ...

I'd aerate, fertilize, overseed, lime and gypsum, one step: $140 pay when I'm done.
    Weed control, see ya in spring, $60 bucks, two visits.
    But I charge slightly more, pay after it is done, since now I take that chance.
    200 my way.

I don't particularly care for customers showing me someone else's estimate, once they've done that I really can't think without that stupid figure playing around in my head, but 185 or 200...
    They could've just asked for my price thou, leave it at that, don't play us off against each other.

Still it's in the ball park, that's what I would've told the customer, likely all they wanted was a second opinion.
    I ain't arguing with nobody who wants to do it 15 bucks cheaper, we're talking a 7.5% margin here, slightly different methods.

How it works...

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The one part I don't get...

I come out 3 times, once for 140, later twice for 60.
    That guy has to go out there at least six times.

Doesn't seem like it would be worth it.
    But then that's not my problem.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, 8800+ post and you don't know what merit is? weed control? wow..

the idea of more visits is to be on the lawn and catch any problems that might come about weed/insect/disease and to up sell, and also to keep up the income through out the season.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

that does seem low for the merit, but if it's not a combo w/fert, then you can still make money. if i were to go after that contract, i'd try to push them into getting there neibors in on it, after all the major cost is getting the truck and employee there. get 10 contracts in the same neiborhood @ 5k for $30.49 would take a tech less then 2-3hrs to complete

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my reply to my potential customers so we are comparing apples to apples. How many lbs of nitrogen is the competition giving you and how much of that is slow release. Is a preemergent one of the steps and does the preemergent have fertilizer with it. If so I tell him/her that early season nitrogen is stressful to the lawn in the long run. My prices per step are $34.93 with the prepay. My aeration is $45.56. I have had people show me the competition prices but once I explain that I can do in five steps what it takes them 6 I usually get the business.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

topsites, merit is grub control.
    teeca, around here 6 steps doesn't necessarily mean 6 visits. They sell it as 6 steps but usually it's 3 visits.
    FdLLawnman, most of my clients have no idea what nitrogen even is let alone how much to use.

8. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

Not to be a smart aleck, but isn't it part of you job to educate your customers as to what is the best management practices for their lawn?

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ill do it for 25 lol

10. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

:) that was exactly what i was thinking