How low should I cut the grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dunn's, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone, how low should we cut the grass before dethatching, or should we leave it longer? Anyone that can answer this morning would be appreciated because we have to cut the lawn today and dethatch tomorrow afternoon. Sorry for the rush.

2. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

The normal weekly height.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would assume that it depends on grass type involved, and also its ability to withstand punishment.

I've never dethatched anything but Zoysia and Bermuda, both which are tough and don't have exposed crowns. I'd suggest mowing at the low end of the recommended range. Dethatching and low-mowing some grasses is bound to really stress them out.

Dethatching some kinds of grass with flails (not just spring loaded tines that basically act as a rake) is bound to damage some of the exisiting grass, perhaps even kill some. Are you dethatching to get better seed/soil contact prior to seeding, or simply to remove an excessive thatch layer?

I suggest making two passes, perpendicular to each other, for best results.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

A liitle of both they are going to overseed their lawn and they are sure that their lawn needs to be dethatched. So its getting dethatched.