How low to scalp for summer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfnerd, Feb 17, 2002.

1. turfnerd

turfnerd LawnSite Member

I was wondering how low does everybody scalp their costomers lawns spring green-up? And how much more do you charge?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I put mine as low as she'll go and let 'er rip.

I provide this service for no extra charge.

GEO

3. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

What would be the purpose of scalping the lawn? The only scalped lawns I ever see are done by lazy homeowners who don't want to mow as often. I hope you mean cut it shorter then normal but I still would like to know what that would do for the good of the lawn?

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i prettymuch do the same. learned that from a customer bout
    20 yrs ago. he would tell me exactly how he wanted it cut . it was only later that i realised how smart he was. hes long gone on now.later
    thought id better edit . cutting it short early gets the new growth
    down low ,at a time when the grass is not stressed out .
    may not be the only way ,but it works for me.

5. turfnerd

turfnerd LawnSite Member

Here in Oklahama we have bermudagrass lawns. This grass goes dormant in the winter. Bermudagrass will green up faster it the dormant shag is cut off. Im not talking about lazy homeowners.

6. Nooo noo noooo nooo noooooooooooooo!!!!

All are cut at the same height they will be mowed for the entire season. Most will be at or above 3 1/2 ".

Scalping or cutting real low for the first cut opens the lawn up for diseases and weeds.

That's asking for major problems in the future.

7. You want to apply fertilizer to solve that, not scalp it.

8. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

the fellow(LGF) above is 100% correct. do not scalp these lawns for the reasons listed above............

9. turfnerd

turfnerd LawnSite Member

I see what you are getting at but preemergents are applied in february thru late march for summer weeds. fertilizer apps aren't applied until late april/ early may becuase our first frost free day isn't until April 15. I know this might sound crazy to you and its probably only done for aesthetics but its one more mow i can charge for.

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

A lawn is only as healthy as its root system. I don't want to get on a rant here but a root system will adjust its depth to the cultural height of the grass. Short grass/ short roots, long grass / deeper roots. This is not hearsay it is fact. (check any turfgrass book its in there) So these guys out there that want to cut Bluegrass at 2"-2 1/2" go ahead have shallow roots. Have more weed pressure, be the first on your block to go dormant in the summer, be the last to recover in the fall. Start a nice blanket of thatch by cutting stems instead of leaves. But do me a favor, don't advise Joe 3 days in the business that this is what is best for the lawn. People cut grass short because they want it to look like carpet. Most don't care if it is grass carpet or clover carpet as long as its flat carpet. Of course they don't want any big brown piles of cuttings on there carpet so the mulch them in to many little brown piles of cuttings that follow the wheel tracks. Or they get really ignorant and bag them, nitrogen,moisture and all and send them to the land fill or Jimmy landscapers back yard. OOPs I'm sorry most cool season turf grasses thrive at 3" - 3 1/2" cut height.

Jimmy and Joe are ficticious characters and in no way represent past , present or future lawnsite.com members.