1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How lucrative can the irrigation business be?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by foss, Apr 20, 2008.

1. foss

foss LawnSite Member

I am currently enrolled in school for landscape technology and I am strongly considering taking as many irrigation classes as possible so I can start my own irrigation business when I graduate. I've been working as an irrigation tech on golf courses for the past two years and, as sick as it is to say, i really enjoy working on irrigation but before I make a full commitment to it I am curious to know what kind of money can be made doing irrigation work as a contractor, i.e. installations, backflow testing, and design. Thanks in advance and let me just say that I've learned almost as much just from reading everyones posts in the forums as I have in the class room. You guys are awesome, keep it up:usflag:
  2. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I must preface this by first saying that I don't do irrigation. I have often thought of getting into it(but never the time to take the proper classes. This is what I have notice through my years of landscape management, plants need different amounts of water than turf areas. Therefore, have zones that cover bedding areas and different zones that cover the turf areas. This approach would yield more zones(larger profit per install) and for the customer, the ability to better manage their water use and supply the right amount of water to the landscape. You can make a very good living doing irrigation only or a very good enhancement service to a landscaping company. Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Lotsa money & fun out there. Find your niche market, get to know the LA's, plumbers,
    electricians, etc., send work to them, they'll reciprocate. It does not work out of the box,
    credentials be damned: you gotta pay the dues. Avoid bottom feeding.

4. It can be a rewarding and lucrative career. Persistence and passion can pay big dividends.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You also get to play in the mud.
  6. foss

foss LawnSite Member

Good to hear that there is some money to be made in this field. Just out of curiosity how many of you do backflow testing and how much do you usually charge for this service.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Full service is the name of the game...50$ & up, depending on size.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

All good advice from everybody. Especially what Mikey says here.

Find your niche - whether it be high end installs, service and repairs only, retrofitting existing systems.

get to know the LA's, plumbers, electricians, etc., send work to them, they'll reciprocate - don't forget the other irrigation companies and landscapers. Most my work is referral from these guys and the suppliers. I send work to Tom Tom and did to SprinklerGuy as well.

you gotta pay the dues. - yup. you'll eat some jobs and costs here and there, and take some lumps over the head :hammerhead: but if you know your stuff, keep learning, make good contacts, you'll do great.
  9. foss

foss LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback all. Much appreciated.:)