1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many 1/4 acre yards can be done in a day?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CrappyMower, Apr 24, 2007.

1. CrappyMower

CrappyMower LawnSite Member

The area I'd best like to target has exclusively 1/4 acre yards. They have what I would consider to be avg. obstacles. Approx 1600-2000 square foot homes. Lets just say average.

How many yards can one, three (3) man crew (well-equipped) be reasonably expected to do in one 8-10 hour day? And for the sake of argument let's assume you have 100 customers on the same street, 50 each side, so there will minimal loading/unloading of the trailer. They all want mow, trim, edge and they all have front sidewalks. It is expected to do a quality job, not necessarily the best cut ever.

By well equipped assume a 48" ZTR, 48 WB (poss. 2), 32" WB to fit through the rear gates, and a 21" push with quality edgers, trimmers, blowers etc.

This is a hypothetical question. I'm trying to see what price I could do (X)amount of yards for if they were situated like this and we could cut (Y) amount of yards per day.

Feel free to brag about your yard mowing conquests here. I'm not looking to low-ball.

Thanks to all, I'm WAY new at this and trying to do a business plan. Need data for optimal conditions. I unfortunately know well the data for the flip-side.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

100 yards side by side w/ a 3 man crew could/should be done in one day.
  3. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

yeah right. If each one takes 10 minutes, it would take them 17 hours working straight.

To get them all done in 10 hours, the lawns could not exceed 6 minutes a piece. I doubt that's going to work out, especially considering you will need a break or two.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all about being productive. No travel time all side by side. Not to mention 3 people. Maybe myself and my worker are more productive and more efficent then you. I guess if every yard has a fenced in backyard then it might take longer but most condo's and other hoa contracts say if there backyard is fenced in then the owner is responsible for it. This is a broad question w/ alot of variables, but 100 is possible w/ the right crew.
  5. Cut n Edge Lawncare

Cut n Edge Lawncare LawnSite Member

thats because on the fourth yard i hit a rebar stake and shattered a blade. Then the damn dealer was closed for a family emergency:cry: so i say four
  6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

My 2 three man crews do about 25 to 30 homes per day each, with no rush, with a hour lunch and are still back in the barn by 6pm at the latest, leaving out @ 7:30am. One thing you have to always remember is Quailty Control. I think we could do more, but I try not to over do it. Most of my accounts are in the same neighborhood, or within a few minutes of each other.
  7. lawnboy150

lawnboy150 LawnSite Member

EASILY and I mean EASILY....40 of those can be done in one day...with the equipment & 3 man experienced crew.
  8. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

me and 1 guy do a particular 90x150 lot with 2k sq foot home - mow,touch up the edge,trim, blow in 14-15 minutes
  9. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I do 10 in one day solo and 3 are 1/2 acre, 25 mile route ,with lunch and didn't start until after 9am and done by 5pm. And then I call it a week and head to my full time job...lol

You should be able to kill that door to door with 3 man crew.
  10. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I cut about 12 lawns a day solo. no lawn is the same size, some have a lot of trimming, some have a lot of mowing, some have both. My days are 8-9 hours long, with a lunch. I know what needs to be done to each property, so everything is routine...in and out.