how many accounts do u solo guys have?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsup, Apr 4, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

Right now I'm solo and super part time with only 5 solid accounts due to a 50 hour work week at my full time job. This is my first legitimate year if you don't include the 3 years I put in from 14 to 17. Right now I can do all my accounts with just a 21" push on one of my days off. I know that if I step up to the bigger mower (probably a 36) I could possibly do twice as many. The average lot size for me right now is approx. 7500 sq. feet and takes me a little over an hour to complete. I do take a lot of time to make sure everything is perfect before driving onward. My question is how many accounts do you guys have total and how many are u able to do in a day? Just trying to see if I could make this my new full time job.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Again, this is one of those questions that are very vague, in a sense, because there are some on here that service 15 a day, and there are some that service 3 a day. All depending on the size, the amount of service one performs on each property, and what equipment is being used for each of these services. With a 21' mower, how big are these places you are doing? How far (long) do you have to drive to each one? etc.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've only got 5 that I service regularly too. Lost a few from last year. One moved to a nursing home, one died and one is just too cheap. I have many more that call me when they need something specific. I was part time last year but going full time this year, just ran an ad to try to drum up business.

4. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

My farthest account is only 12 miles away and takes 20 minutes to get to. All the others are literally right around the corner (within 5 miles). If I go for more accounts they will be very close. I live in a small town with several smaller towns right next door. The two accounts furthest from each other would only take 30 minutes or so if I drove straight thru but I have 3 others inbetween. I have 5 more accounts lined up that are 2 minutes from my house and from each other but I currently dont have enough sizeable equipment to knock them out in a day. It takes me about 6 or 7 hours to complete all 5 but like I said all I have is a 21". I'm thinking that I could do 8 a day 5 days a week but if it rains I think I might be overloaded. I know there are a lot of variables to consider, I was just wondering what you guys have. Thanks for any input

5. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

my houses are anything up to about 6000 sqft but mostly between 2000 to 5000 and i only have a 21" right now. at my personal peak last year i was able to do between 60-65 by myself. i do a lot of them that are very close to each other and sometimes their yards are all one piece so it makes this go very quickly... i'm hoping to add a 32" or a 36" soon and see if i can do somewhere around 85 a week...

6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Im a one man crew have a 48" Lesco Wb and i do from 11 to 15 a day.When there was two of us we did from 20 to 25 a day.Only drive time was driving to our pick up spot. All 106 account where close. But really depemds one what you use and the size. Tuesday i only did 7 because i had a big ;awn that hadnt been done in 3 or more months , plus other big accunts. All how you work really.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can say one thing...
    That is, that the fact that you have these accounts close together, and close to you like that, you are DEFinitely on the right track! When I first started out on my own, ('83) I was driving 20 miles in any one given direction for work. I think back on that now, how foolish I was. My money was spent in gas, but I kept justifying it as; "Well, that's 30 or 40 bucks I didn't have before!"
    I was blind to see the truth at the time. Over time, I condensed my work down to a tighter area, and referd the other stuff out, or just priced myself out of it. The best thing I ever did. If we are fortunate enough, there is always enough work right close to home. Good luck with it.;)

8. Runner you are so right but you neglect to say how much fun it was in the ole days. Sure we had to worry about gas but it was sure fun for me when I first started. Now I look back and say wow was I just plain dumb or what:)

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

At the moment I have 28. Average size 1 acre. I feel I can handle about 10 more comfortably. Comfortably = 45 hours/week

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

John,
    I equate this to the old adage; "If only I knew then, what I know now!":D