how many accounts is to many

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roger miller, Dec 19, 2005.

1. roger miller

roger miller LawnSite Member

do any of you have several hundred accounts? how do you control that volume of workers and accounts and keep the quality of work at a high level?
  2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Foreman incentives. Crew leader starts off with a $200 bonus at the end of the month. 1 valid complaint equals $100 off bonus, 2 is $200 off, Late 3 times $100 off bonus, call without good valid excuse $100 off. It's the foremans responsibility to make sure each job is done right and good, they have a lot to lose if it isn't. Many will probably disagree with this idea but when I started it late this last year quality and reliabilty went up.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, it begins with paying someone well. We have several hundred accounts. I don't recall any callbacks last year.
  4. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried starving them and overpaying them with about the same results. There are good employees and bad. Some just want to make a few bucks and move on. One thing I've learned,don't go out and work with them because they will let you do most of the work.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure, as I only have about 65accounts, but I will be finding out over the next few years, I hope to have around 200 in 2-3 years.
  6. TheGrassBandit

TheGrassBandit LawnSite Member

Hey rodfather... a bit off topis, but I read post of yours in another thread about your referal letters. If you wouldn't mind letting me see a copy of that, I would really appreciate it.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing that can determine "how many is too many" is... as soon as quality starts slipping; its time to scale back, or get new forement + incentives.
  8. rodfather

pm me your email address and I will send it to you.
  9. rodfather

My guys are just the opposite...they feel sorry for an old fart like me and double time it.
  10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I think most of it is dependant upon the fact that you are willing to grow and are well prepared. Are you ready to take on that many accounts? What will you do about equipment if you grow too fast? Who will take care of the office (customer complaints, new customer calls, billing, etc.), you or will you hire an office manager? Are you ready to weed through hundreds of employees to find a few good ones? Will you use local help or H2B workers? If H2B, how will your customers respond? What I mean by that is that some customers do not trust Mexican workers for some reason and/or do not like to deal with people who cannot speak English. There are many variables that you can plug into this, but the point I am trying to make is that if you study up, prepare for the best and worst, and are ready to get BIG, then go for it. Only you can decide. You might also get advice from JustMowIt. He is quite large and could probably answer the questions you have.