1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many accounts when just starting out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haynestotallawn, Jun 9, 2002.

1. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

Okay guys and gals just curious as to how many accounts everyone started out with when they first went solo (full-time or part-time). I know everyone is different but I was wondering what kind of average the first year LCO would be looking at. Thanks in advance!
  2. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We lived in a mobile home park and did about 20 of the lawns. Mother in law lived in another mobile home park and we did about 10 over there. The second year we advertised and got up to about 60 around town and in mobile home parks. We upgraded out equipment and have about 90 now including some very large properties.
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I started with ONE (1).

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I only started with one account too. What a coincidence. Anyway I got about 6 steady account before I went and bought the commercial mower. From there I like almost tripled my accounts. When I get my rig i hope to have about 35 wihtin a 5-mile radius. I like to go for the high volume areas.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Then it went from there, now I have 4 regulars and a couple fill in's when they're on vacation. Most of these are larger ones though, from 1/4 acre, 1/2, 3/4, 2, and 2. So that would be equal to alot of small city ones. These are out in the country.
  6. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

my first year expect a good 10 -15 weekly but i started out with one, i could remeber when i had seven for the longest time i was gonna give up i thought wow one for every day of the week .then they just come its all marketing skill.plus word of mouth .good luck
  7. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Uhhhhhhh, didnt we all start with one????????
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i started with about 20 out the door, but i had some help (see sig) ;)
  9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We were talking about starting our own business. My husband wanted to do lawn care and I was unsure about it. Anyway, out of the blue, a neighbor stops and asks my husband if he wanted to start mowing her lawn every week. It snowballed from there.
  10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars