How many accounts

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by ChevHayes, Aug 11, 2010.

1. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

24 accounts in my second year doing this part time. 75% weekly, 25% bi-weekly with an occasional call or to do one-time cuts. It's been a good year.
  2. DitchDr

DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member

Total single family home accounts is 211, Have 2 condo complexes that are all flats totaling 250 units. 27 commercial accounts, 1 big industrial account , 198 fert accounts, as far as tree accounts, we are on retainer for 5 apt complexes and 2 HOA's
  3. Juan91

Juan91 LawnSite Senior Member

we're at 27, all residential, we gained about 17 this year and lost 1, but that's because we don't care for scalping a lawn. Next season we r trying commercial and hope to make some more $$, plenty of opportunities
  4. Gary Campbell

Gary Campbell LawnSite Member

I carry between 70 and 80 commercial and residential...I also contract with my city for the two cemeteries here, about 12 acres total...this number is almost too much for one man to do, I plan to reduce it gradually until I retire.....Ive been doing this for 30 years
  5. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

First season working for myself finally. Not some A-hole :D anyway, right at 20 residential. (Started in April with 3). I also am handling 6 accounts for a friend all season, so around 26. My problem is, with the economy, everyones wanting Bi-weekly cuts :/ which is no problem but that means I'm really only cutting 15 a week. I want to be doing 50-60/week consistantly. Then I'll pump the brakes and see where I'm at.

Do any of you guys in the mid south have customers constantly requesting Bi-weekly cuts also?
  6. mikeslawnlandscapeohio

mikeslawnlandscapeohio LawnSite Member

We are mowing around 350 per week. Some weeks more, some alittle less, just depends on this dry weather.
  7. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

How many crews? And would you say your profit margins made a big increase or very little with doing THAT many accounts vs. say 200

I ask because I have a friend who went from 70 with 1 crew to 100 with 2 crews and said his profit margins didn't really get that much better? I'm wondering if the more and more you go up, the less profit you will see.
  8. mikeslawnlandscapeohio

mikeslawnlandscapeohio LawnSite Member

I run 2 crews, with 3 guys per crew.

The profit margin has stayed pretty close to the same. We mow around 200 bank homes per week and around 150 regular clients. As long as your profit margain stays the same and does not go down, you are doing good. We stay around 35%-42% profit
  9. calligreenthumb

calligreenthumb LawnSite Member

Started in 2007 with 17 accounts and have 86 residential accounts, work with a property management company and a couple real estate companies. I actually don't mind the bi weeklys so i have a light week every other week to do installs and cleanups.
  10. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i have 25 mowing accounts which equals 40 acres. Ideally i would like to have 10 accounts and 100 acres. Plan on stayin solo.