How many accounts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BLC1, Oct 5, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Question is a little bit vague but we'll try it out.

How many accounts do you think an average person can handle. Lets say the lawns average 10k and under and averaging 5 apps per account.

Those guys out there who operate solo, how many accounts do you currently have? How many do you think would keep you busy full time.

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

IMHO, given these things.Typical in town routes, decent truck and equipment. About 500 more or less depending on route density.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on what you will run for equipment. If you run a ride on SS you will be able to do more.

4. BLC1

from Ohio

It will most likely be the combination of a 200 gallon skid mounted spray and a ride on (not sure which one yet).

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Using a ride-on, add more. Using a push spreader and a skid and ability to carry 15-20 bags along with a a tech with quality work habits, 500-550. JMO.

6. BLC1

from Ohio

What would be the average price for a 10k lawn? How many accounts would be realistic to add each year to get to that 500+ mark?

7. BLC1

from Ohio

Also, with those 500...I'm assuming you guys are doing all the office work, marketing and everything else along with that.

8. BLC1

from Ohio

How about some more hypotheticals...Say the average lawn is around $50 for easy numbers. If on average you put down 5 apps that would be revenue of 250 per cust. At that rate 400 cust would give you 100k in revenue. While digging through some posts I saw numbers saying 40% would be good net. Is this realistic?

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BLC1

I think the question should be HOW MANY GOOD SERVICE ACCOUNTS can you handle. In my case I perfer few accounts but at a higher price and better margin. Of course you could be the second coming of TG/CL and have 3,000 crapy pasture grass account and a Horrible reputation.

10. BLC1

from Ohio

No, not trying to be TG. Thats why I posed the question as what can a solo op handle. I would much rather be high quality and keep customers long term. Nothing like the head ache of rotating customers every season.