how many accounts?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by seasonal services, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Jacob G

Jacob G LawnSite Member

I have 4 now... I have been swamped with school, full-time job, and family (wife and 13 month old)... Needless to say I haven't had much time for anything this semester. Now that I am graduating (after 8 years I guess I should be a doctor), I am going to try to get a few more so I can make some cash to pay back those Visa, Mastercard, and student loan people. I've got a Snapper 33" rider, a Troy-bilt trimmer (POS), and a great little Stihl handheld blower. Right now I'm doing this out of the back of my truck. That's getting old real fast. I need to get a trailer... I was thinking about a 5 x 8 to start out that way I will have enough room to get a bigger (and faster) mower next year. What do y'all think is a good size trailer to start with?

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm at around 12 - 15 .. looking to be at 20 for my 1st year and expand every year!!

3. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok now how long did it take yall to get that many accounts---please tell

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

new equipment, devoted workers, dont eat, last week they did 79.5 man hours. I cut 13 of the smaller lawns myself. last thrusday they cut about 23 big lots, these start at about a acre, then you subtract the house, garage ( if they have one) and drive. the crew uses a 72 and a 60". the 72 cuts just about 1/2 more grass a day then the 60, thinking of maybe running 2 72" mowers. had 2 rain days did'nt get to work full days, but thursday was 10.5 hours. Some routes have up to 9 sites to be mowed, at the drop of the gate, no drive time.

5. bbone

bbone LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have 59 this year but cut way back, only working mon, tue, thur and fri. Loaded with landscaping and mulching jobs to do on wed and sat. I also work 6 hours by myself on sunday, always trying to get ahead for the week. I have 23 fert accounts and average 2-4 new mulch bids per day. I use wed and sat as swing days in case of rain during the week, lessons learned. I have 8-7 part timers on sat to do big landscaping projects and run 1 part time on tue and friday during the week. Other than that it's John Wayne time mon, wed, thur and sunday. Oh yeah, running a 52" Ferris DD hydro with sulky (brand new last sept.), 2- 61" 21hp diesel grasshoppers (2yrs old) , 1-36" toro belt drive (1999), don't own a push mower because I have not used one in 10 years, and all the other necessary equip to trim, blow, edge. ect. I have stated this before and will say it again it is not how many you have it is the $$$ you make. Wright this down 2 man crew 8 hour day $800-$1000 per day. Remember it because you can have one account that takes 8 hours but as long as you meet your goal everything will be right with the world.

6. indianamower

indianamower LawnSite Member

Currently I have 15 and work a full time job at night. I mow 4 days a week unless rained out. Lawns range from 7 acres to small residential. Bought a new JD 737 to be able keep up and to get some more acounts.

7. Eirik

Eirik LawnSite Member

Year 3

2 crews

165 man hours a week

3 employees (four including me)

over 90 accounts, as of june 28th

80% residential, 20% commercial & HOA

mon-sat (wednesday and thursday are the heaviest, with over 20 a day for each crew) Saturdays are all commercial and slotted for side jobs, bark installs, planting etc.

Employees alternate on working saturdays with me, so everyone gets two days off a week.....except yours truly :)

We specialize in high-end residentials.

8. PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect LawnSite Member

I have 19 weekly and 2 biweekly mowing accounts. 5 residental and 16 commercial accounts.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

11 weekly accounts, 4 10 day accounts, and 1 bi weekly accounts. Only 2 are less than 1 acre.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Theres atm 4 of us we do 280-300 man hours a week we have 126 lawn accounts 43 fert accounts and a few dozzen one time job accounts any given time. We just got the lawns down to 2.5 days a week with the addision of our second trailer and second ZTR. As for hours 8 am to dark usualy 7-9 pm if needed the trade is seasonal and I take 3 months off a year I don't mind working harder then most during the on season.