How many actually use a 4X4?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Nov 15, 2006.

1. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Unless you guys are planning on doing snow removal, how many actually use a 4x4 truck? I'm trying to decide if I REALLY need a 4x4 or just a 2 wheel drive.

2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I do landscaping also and actully use 4 wheel drive about 3 times a week.
    I can't even imagine not have a 4x4.
    You could get away with it most of the time.
    Why waste the money on a 4x2, when you will need a 4x4 later.

3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I use my 4X4 about 1-2 times a week
    As far as snow removal
    aint gonna happen:nono:
    when it snows Im inside:laugh:

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It's actually nice to have both which we do. On a day to day basis, we use the 4 x 2, but when it comes to landscaping jobs we use the 4 x 4. It's old, but it does it's job.

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let anyone tell you different. You will need four wheel drive.

6. plus they are great when you have to jump a curb or go over parking blocks at the mall. :laugh: :laugh:

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I live in the north east so my opinion is a little biased, but I cannot imagine buying a 2wd truck if it was my only vehicle. We get frequent snow in the winter which is just a PITA if you don't have 4wd. I actually had to use 4wd pulling out of my driveway the other day when I had backed off the crushed base into the mud after all the rain. My truck wouldn't make it out on flat ground, even with about 1K lbs of tongue weight sitting on it.

If you can only have one truck, get the 4wd. if you can afford a second then spring for 2wd possibly.

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

As for pulling a mowing trailer never is used.

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

yea was thinking the same thing anyone else agree with him? im bout to buy a new truck and probably wont go with 4x4 since its only gonna be towing a trailer

When all you other people say for "landscaping jobs" do you mean towing a trailer with equipment? when the back is filled with dirt?

10. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

get the 4X4, u will need it one day and be glad you got it. I got a 4X4 but I only got 1 truck, so that solves that fast......