How many aerations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACA L&L, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Tis the season, was wondering how many aerations you have scheduled for the spring. We have about 250 that we do every spring, that number seems to grow every year. Last year we ended up doing about 350 and about 250 powerakes. Last week we did 54, was a long week averaged bout 10 a day. I thought i was in shape until wednesday mornin came..................How bout u guys?:hammerhead::hammerhead:
  2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Way too many for my liking !!

The drought here drug out into early November, and it was WAY too dry to even try to aerate residential lawns, and still have any conscience left to sleep at night.

The only aerations I was able to accomplish were the ones that I had scheduled dormant seeding on; mainly my growing sports field business, and some commercial, and I did all those just after Thanksgiving.

So I still have a % of my fall aerations to do...mainly on the residential customers, and a few renovation jobs on the books too.
  3. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

How on God's green earth do you get so many to do I'm trying to get about 100! Could you please tell me your secert!
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

End results is the secrete if people see a difference they will ask for the service.:waving:
  5. ACA L&L

joesimoes nailed it on the head. we started out with around 25 or so, tripled that the next year to around 75 and so on. Flyers newspaper, nurserys(we have damn near 20 of em), rental shop (old ladys) you name it we hit it. Its taken awhile but were to the point that we dont even have an ad in the yellow pages, not my choice but owell its done and hasnt seem to hurt us yet. most are under 3000 sq ft, with aer/pr/andfert there looking $190.00. Most are willing to pay some of the older guys will price shop. if a customer signs up for regular service we take %30/40/50 off with signed contract and three months down. Good equipment and same day service/next day service keep the aerator rolling all spring.
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i refuse to aerate in the spring due to interference with pre-em's, tis a bad idea to me
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Thats what I was going to you ever run into problems with weeds from opening up the ground in the spring? Do you just not put any seed down and put your pre em or what? Around here, most recommend against spring aerations as it can lead to weed problems if not kept under close watch. I have aerated my own lawn in the spring with great results but kept a close eye on any weeds and took care of them. Couldnt do that with most of my customers, they would be complaining of weeds.
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I completely disagree with this!
    This is an old theory that has been disproved over and over and over again !!

If the stand of turf is fairly dense to begin with, the grass itself will succeed in 'preventing' crabgrass germination; so long as 'stupid stuff' doesn't happen later in the spring / early summer- such as mowing too short (i.e. "billing runs" during drought times), not watering enough, and / or gouging sidewalk edges, like I mentioned before.

If a lawn is going into spring already thin, it will likely have weed problems later, crabgrass included, despite whether it was aerated in the spring, or not; and sometimes, whether it's had two app's of pre-em or not !! long as conditions allow for it...plug away in the spring !!
  9. ACA L&L

If you have crabgrass bad, you can put your pre emerge down in the fall as well. We've been doing it this way for over 10 years. Everyone here gets there lawn aerated in the spring. Thats just the way it goes. We maybe do 10 in the fall. The leaves are falling in October. No time for aerations. we seed before the 2 nd app. This would be in april. sometime. Its worked so far no need to change it. Yall should come check out the balloon fiesta in october its awesom. Albuquerque is beatiful that time of year. I figured everyone was eager in the spring to get back to work like myself. When i started we charged $40 for each, now we charge $75 aer $85 pr. Unreal!!