How many applications do you guys use in your plans

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Nov 1, 2006.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I was wondering on how many treatments do you guys use in your lawn treatment plans. I live in northeast pa. I am looking at putting a plan together. Need some feedback.
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

6 in our standard package. 5 weed & fert, 1 winterizer. We also offer additional applications for Merit, and fungicide.
    Our season may be longer than yours. We start in early Mar and end 2nd week in Nov.
  3. We generally recommend five, unless there are other considerations. If the client demands a high performing lawn then we go six. If there are limiting budgetary factors then we can go with less.

Basically, I try to balance what the customers goals are with what they are willing to pay.

We do offer grub and fungus controls as extra services.
  4. standeruser

standeruser LawnSite Member

I usually do 5
    1: Fert w/ Dimension and blanket or spot as needed
    2: Fert w/ Allectus / spray weeds as needed
    3: Fert w/ Bifenthrin spray as needed
    4: Fert 20-10-10 spray as needed
    5: Winterizer

This upcoming year i was thinking about adding a preventative Fungicide just when the humud wheather is approaching. probably Spectator
    and iwas toying with the idea of a second dimension treatment. Not sure yet. But thats my regular Program. Good Luck:drinkup:
  5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

wow, that's a lot of chemicals. ever heard of IPM?

most companies do 4-5. some space it out about every month (up to 8). i have seen 4 work good (every two months), but i do 5.
  6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

How ever the soil test comes back.
  7. standeruser

Iwas THINKING about doing one or the other in place of a second Insect treatment. NOT all of Them. I do 5 treatments Same as every body else. By the Way, If i'm putting down a preventative fungus treatment and it works. Wouldn't i be putting down LESS chemicals than if the lawn was over ridden with Disease??Every 14 days
  8. standeruser

And YES i Have heard of INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT (IPM) Maybe you should Look at the Organic Forum?
  9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. What to say....

I do 6

I deliver .75# to 1# of N per visit totalling 4-6# over the course of the growing season. That is what MSU recommends for turf in our area/zone. Unless the soil test shows some miraculous source of N, that is probably close to what you will need.

Grub control is an extra application as are fungicides or any other IPM treatment.
  10. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Settle down there jerky. First off, no you would be putting lots of unnecessary chemicals down since maybe only 20-30% of your lawns get a disease worth applying a fungicide. So, you are applying unnecessary fungicides down on 70-80% of your lawns when they don't need them. You are also killing a ton of beneficial soil life, which i'm sure the soil thanks you for. Combine those fungicides yearly with your enormous amount of insecticides and i'm sure those soils are in good shape. Yeah you probably do have insect and disease damage on all your lawns. They are used to getting their daily dose of chemicals. Take the needle from the heroin addict and it won't be pretty. The lawns probably need their fix after all the love you've treated them with.

Look, I'm not all about organics, and i do realize there is an organic forum...maybe you should read a little in it, but using chemicals haphazardly like you seem to be doing can't be good for the environment, the lawns, the soil, or even your applicators. I've been taught to fix the problem when it appears in lawn care. In some situations you must use a preventative fungicide or insecticide I realize that, BUT every lawn? Cmon buddy you can't seriously think that is the best way to maintain a lawn.