How many apps per day is reasonable?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by toxic man, Feb 27, 2005.

1. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

I am doing some cost analysis and was wondering what is a good number of applications for a work day? I know this will change when we are doing chemical weeding, so what are the differences, granular spreading and granular spreading with a chemical spot spray, assuming, of course, that they are all within a reasonable driving distance.

I have been playing with a few lawns and find the whole fill the backpack thing really stinks, any suggestions about how to set up to streamline the spot spray operation? I saw a grounds wheelie which spreads by pushing a small boom sprayer over the entire lawn, I don't know if it will be effective to load that and spray the entire lawn. I personally don't like the idea, because I believe in spraying as little as possible, for economic and environmental reasons.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lou

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. Better make your question more exact. Some days I don't finish one stop, some days 20. Depends on many things.

Backpack? Grounds Wheelie? How many properties and how serious are you about doing this type of work?

EG

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

The question seems too general and there are countless variables that play into an accurate answer for you question...

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

You could get answers from 1-40 lawns a day that would all be right. The variables are many, Routing (how "tight" are your routes), what type of equipment are you using, what kind of physical shape are you in, how big are your lawns, how long a day do you want to work, etc, etc. I can tell you that my guys average 17 lawns a day (about 100K sq.ft.) but our traffic sucks here so that may seem low to some.

5. toxic man

Well then,

Lets just say the houses are all within a 5 mile radius, all smaller than three thousand square feet and need a spray for broadleafs in addition to the granular fert application?

And, yes I am serious, a smaller company with good values, looking to gain experience and learn from your input (greatly appreciated).

I am not at the level to where I want to go all liquid and not even sure if it will fit my company profile. That is why the questions about the backpack. Surely there is someone out there who has learned a few tricks to make the backpack process better?

Thanks,

Lou

6. cemars

There should never be a level where you want to go all liquid, it doesn't make since. As far as how many lawns a day you treat, it will be somewhat determined by your equipment. You could still apply granular fertilizer and buy a a small sprayer (50-100Gal) to spray post-emergence weed control and save a good amount of time compared to a back pack. We will usually spay a property with weed control 1-2 times a year and the spot spray the occasional weeds that pop up with a 1-2 gal hand can.

7. Enviro Green

Well, you asked for it,

You can ask fifity people the same question and get fifty answers. Now, you really shoudn't ask anyone how to run your company, but since you did,

If I had lawns that were all less than 3K and close, I would have a chest spreader and a tank sprayer. Backpacks suck in versatility, I have many, but the tank sprayer is best for weeds (read fast and cost effective). So, drop less than 2,000 on the tank sprayer, load it with speedzone, assuming you are in cool season turf, and then spread granular, then spray, soon you won't have to spray much. How many lawns?

I could do 20-25 alone. One day. Takes longer to do the paperwork than the lawn.

EG

Cemars--How is the snow up your way? We got 8" down here!

8. toxic man

Perfect, down and dirty; Just what I asked for!

Thank you,

Lou

9. cemars

About 2-3 on the ground as of 10PM. I feel for you having 8", that sucks. I'll have to try and figure out how to keep my full timers busy the rest of the week. Can't wait to get going this spring-how about you.

10. Enviro Green

LOL,

Last two weeks I just laughed at big green out spraying pre-emergents....now I am thinking I wish I would have been out there too!

I guess we will really be behind now with the first tree shrub apps up and the first round needing to go down....

But, all's well, we are converting our software to Quickbooks, adn that keeps me busy and I have time to do it, but I am looking forward to sunny weather!
    How many work with you now? Three or four including me here.

EG