How many are a 1 man show?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Viking Aeration, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    :canadaflag:

Chris again; just reading some threads on Mr Gambino, and noticed discussion about #'s in Crew's. How many of you are 1 Man show? Just curious....(as that is all I am just starting out)

Also I read (I must say WOW!) that one pers was avg 12-15 jobs per month!!!! Holy cow! that sound like a mega successful person! congrats!

But they said if they were only doing 7-8 or less they couldnt survive?! I figured if you were doing even 4 -5 /mo you'd be a good success?!

(I'm a Sgt in the Military so this will only be PT venture for me (also as the season here is from about May Sept?) and I fig if have even 1-2 per month or 2 I'm doin great!) But I totally admit I am a new guy, don't know a whole lot, so I'll be the first to admit I may be way of base!

SO, if the Avg Job is even about $1700 - $2500........ Fig you take home $700 - $1400 per job, by my math that's pretty good coin @ 4-5 per month! ($ that about 3k - 5k per/mo) Thats pretty good considering the avg Salary worker makes usually no more that about (net) $2400 - $3500 per month...

I dunno, just thinking aloud here!

Anyway, thanks again all, have a great day!

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

The number of projects are all relative. A lot depends on overhead and other business factors. We have some overhead for sure. (trucks, trailers, mortgage etc.) Our business started as a 1 man show, but soon grew to the point where 1 person couldn't take care of everything as effective as needed to run a successful business. Because we don't work for 3-4 months out of the year, we need to make sure that we have enough money in the business account to pay the bills throughout the winter without any income what so ever comming in.

If your only doing this part time and have no overhead, then doing 4-5 a month will bring in a decent secondary income.

3. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your input! Yup, I hope to grow slowely and within my ability, more that anything I really wish to provide really good work to customers! I want them to say WOW! Looks fantastic!

Anyway thank you! Post again soon!
    :canadaflag:

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We are more or less a 1 man show for lighting. My wife helps and has helped do some installs. She can solder and bury wire but has no idea about voltage and amperage and such yet but shes learning. We are doing no where near what some of the one man operations are doing but then again we havnt been doing this long.

When larger installs come our way we will steal a laborer from our landscape maint company and use them as needed. I will definatly use 2 laborers on an install coming up. Im not burying 1500 ft of wire out in this heat lol

5. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good point too. Even if you plan on running the show by yourself for the majority of the time, it's good to have someone available that can help you on the larger installs.....even if they only bury wire. On most of our installs we have 3 people out on the site, the smaller ones we only put 2 out there. Unless time isn't an issue, you'll definately want to find someone on an as needed basis....you'll be glad you did.