How many are still doing free service for deployed service people?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xpnd, Nov 6, 2003.

1. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

When a similiar thread was posted long ago I was in the minority, maybe the only one with a dissenting voice. I promised to bring this up again and now that the words "beginning to look like another Vietnam" are being used to describe our Iraq involvement, I think it is time. How many actually did it, did you stay the course with your commitment and are you going to continue for the next so many years?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You werent alone, I did an estimate for one, but was too expensive.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

One of my daughters schoolmates dad is in the Army. He is not involved in the Iraq confilct but he is in Korea. He left in June and will be gone for a year. His wife called and asked me to do an aeration. I did and did not feel like charging her. She is taking care of 4 kids while dad is overseas. This is the closest I know for anyone in the military and I have no problem helping her out like this.
  4. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

What is the question that you are posing? Are you against helping those that are deployed in service to there country.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I remember the post and responses that xpnd contributed to and received.
    Ray & Karen, do a search on this topic, there were multiple responses.
  6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<b>"beginning to look like another Vietnam"</b>
    <p>Dude,it's not even close to being another Vietnam.A few small schirmishes(sp?) here and there,but the war itself is won.US is deploying ALOT more troops next year.Why?Rotation.
    The troops that are there now will be coming back next year.
    God bless em!
    Ask a Vietnam vet if this looks like another Vietnam.
  7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I gave someone a break on their lawn. I charged them $35 per cut when I usually would have charged $50. She told me that his job is making up the difference in pay between his military pay and what he usually made and continuing their insurance.
  8. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

I have a neighbor that is deployed a bunch... here three months, gone six months. I do his yard at a discounted price. Running his yard through my price matrix comes out to be a $53.00 job, but I only charge him $35.00 each time. I have done discounted work for other deployed military too. I have a soft spot for military folks, having been either active duty myself, or a family member of an active duty soldier for the last 26 years.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I cant speak for him, but i think hes trying to see how long people would do a lawn for free for a serviceman. It may sound cold and calous, but its a job they agreed to do, and i dont work for free.
    Stick around for a while, and you will hear about solo operators, having something go wrong, listen to them about how willing and caring others are of your problems. Its a business, and the goal is to make money. It may sound harsh, no, it does sound harsh.
  10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

yup im still doing it.very few were thankful so i don't think im going to do it next year.i took care of 16 people 4 came home but i still mowed there lawn for free.i found that alot of people that called in to get free service were not serving nor were they ever in the service.but i got my 16 and an award for doing money just a flag and a few other things.couldn't of been more happy to get are colors to frame up in my room