1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Many Back Pack Verses Power Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Wondering how many of y'all in the fert & Pesticide business use Back Pack Sprayers campared to Power Sprayers on maintemance jobs
    I only use Back Packs , never carry a power sprayer on maintenance jobs
  2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I actually preferred that my gardeners had 25 gallon tanks mounted in the truck with 200 ft of hose, but that can't get everywhere, so a backpack still has it's place. For the argument, I prefer the spe setups over the solos and those two are the only ones I ever tried.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Insect and fungus pressure in Florida is such that one cocktail in a spray tank is not a cure all. Therefore particularly on ornamental I care several back packs of other chemicals. Days will go by that I don't need them. But I label those back packs and only use one cocktail in each one.

I would love to go to Perma green boom type set up but once again the insect pressure in Florida is best handled by large volume of carrier or in some cases 10 gallon per thousand. Fleas and Ticks might be an example of a insect controlled better by large volumes on lower AI solution.

Back packing spot treatment for weed control is good on some lawns. but for real infested lawns I use a separate hose reel and shoot it from a 25 gallon tank with a mechanical agitator.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Backpack sprayer definitely has its place with me. I use a Solo and have not been disappointed in it at all.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use it all tanks back pacs ride on's whetever it takes to get it done
  6. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I use back packs for round-up and insecticides only. Truch mount hydrolic for small or wicked bad infestations of weeds,insects. ride on for anything and everything I can use it for insteed of pulling hose and wearing it on my back..