How many back you mowers on the trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 7, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think when I got my first ZTR, a Grasshopper it recomended backing up the ramp so I have always backed my ZTR's onto the trailer and have a chock to stop the mower where the balance is correct. I also strap it. I notice most people drive them on front wheels first. I have a single axle trailer and only haul one at a time. Any body else do this? I may have just imagined it but I was sure I read in the Grasshopper directions to do this for some reason (saftey)?

2. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I back mine on primarily because I can balance the trailer better that way, but I also think it's safer to drive forward off the trailer....

3. rustic

rustic LawnSite Member

I back mine onto the trailer, too.

4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The WB goes on first and the the rider- both facing forward. I've seen guys with Walkers back them on- maybe because the hopper is full and it might tip over backwards going up the ramp? Some guys will turn the mowers sideways to make more room on the trailer.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We back one of the Walker's next too another one driven straight on which allows em side by side up front ... so we can get the dixie on behind them ...nice tight set up on a 16x6.5 trailer

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My 36 and pusher goes up front, then I Back my Z on. So all the weight is on the trailor axle. If I park my Z forward I get trailor sway. Not alot, just sometimes.

7. jpsquared

jpsquared LawnSite Member

i put the fastrak on sideways and then i back on the super z

8. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

I THINK the reasons they want you to back it on the trailer because it is not safe to go foward on a slope because it may flip backwards. Just my 2 cents.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I only back the mowers on when Im bored.

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I can back a mower on faster then I can back off.:)