How many bags?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by michindi, Jan 28, 2004.

1. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

Hey all! I am brand new to the business and to this web site. I have a ton of questions for all you experts. But for now I want to ask this one. I need about 4.5 yards of mulch. I want to buy bags of mulch instead of bulk. So I want to know how many bags of mulch do I need and how do i figure this out. I plan on doing alot of mulching so i could use all the info i can get...Thanks in advance.

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

A CUBIC YARD is 27 Cubic FEET. A cubic YARD will spread 3 to 4 inches deep over 100 SQUARE FEET. I've seen bagged mulch in 2 CU. FEET and in 3 Cu. FEET bags. So you need to check and see what you are buying. But if you are buying 3 Cu Ft bags, you will need 9 of them for 1 cubic yard. So 4.5 (yards) x 9 = 40.5 bags (3 cu. Ft.)

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

another note on buying in bags-i am not sure your strategy to buying in all bags but make sure you find a good wholesale spot where you can get a good deal on bagged mulch. otherwise, your overhead will be through the roof buying by the bag.

4. eric22

eric22 LawnSite Member

one bag will cover about the size of the bag if you a 4-5 inches

5. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

Thanks Grassbusters...... Im not really set on useing bags. I have not checked on prices yet for bulk, but the cheapest 2 cu feet of red mulch i could find is $2.47 a bag. I am very new to this so im checking out all my options.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

8. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

Thanks alot for that web site it does help. Can someone tell me the formula to figure out how many sq feet are in a cubic foot. This might be a stupid answer but I am in the learning process of this whole thing. I used that web site and it said I need 41 bags of 3 cubic foot bags, but the bags around here are only 2 cubic ft.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

length x width x hiegth gives you the square

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Length x width x height gives you CUBIC Feet.

1 CUBIC YARD equals 27 CUBIC FEET (3x3x3=27)

27 CUBIC FEET (1 CU Yard) will do about 100 SQ feet 3 to 4 inches deep!

4.5 CU yards x (27 cu feet divided by 2 cu ft bag = 13.5 bags per yard) = # of 2 cu ft bags needed SO.......

4.5 x 13.5 = 60.75 bags and since most stores won't sell you .75 of a bag go with 60 or 61.

60 x $2.47 = $148.20

Buying in bulk is usually MUCH CHEAPER if you can handle it.

Mike