How many bales of straw for 1 acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daren, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Going to seed 1 acre exactly in the morning and wanted to know how many bales of straw everyone reccommends? Any suggestions ?

Daren

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

You're in the ball park of about 140 bales or so... figure about (1) bale for every 300 sq. ft.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Most DOT and Goverment jobs call for 2500 to 3500 bs per acre, we use 2500 lbs per acre as a rule of thumb, now not knowing the weight of bales you deal with it's hard to guess but here bales weigh around 35 lbs per bale. So.......... 71 or so should be ok.

4. PAPS

so paul... your approx. saying a bale per 600 sq. ft... I usually go much heavier with the hay... like a bale for every 300-400 sq. ft. Which puts me on an acre about 120-140 bales. Maybe I am going a little too heavy... and should cut back...

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

be sure not to put it on to heavy, i have made that mistake in the past. id say about 100 bales sounds right.

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure some of the site conditions and after care dictate to some degree if you should use more or less straw.

We shoot to use about 1 bale for every 600 to 700 sq ft of seeded area. This isn't too heavy that you hinder new growth - but might be too open for some.

I haven't used a straw blower - but I'd assume that there may be some difference in application by hand vs. blower.

7. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

We figure a bale to cover 400# or an area 20x20

8. PAPS

Thats what i always figure....

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I should have been clearer, we blow all our straw and use a tackifier to hold it down. By blowning it we get a more even coverage and the finer peices seem to reduce the amount needed. Tackifier keeps it in place so the wind doesn't move it as much.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I generaly figure about 500 sq ft a bale.