How many bales of straw for 500 sq. feet.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CURBAPPEAL NC, May 31, 2006.

1. CURBAPPEAL NC

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Not sure how to price. after doing a search on here is see where people charge anywhere from $3 a bale installed to $9. I have about 500 sq. feet to cover so I need to know how much a bale will cover or how many bales to cover 500. Thanks.:)

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

About 1/4 of a bale. If it is 500 sq. ft., you're only looking at a 22 x 22 area. Or did you mean 5000?

3. CURBAPPEAL NC

I meant 500. A 1/4 of a bale? The bales im thinking about are the size of a bale of hay or am I just crazy? How can a 1/4 bale cover 500 sq.? Dont lay into me too hard im new to installs. Theres no way im gonna charge only 3-9 bucks to install that! The customer has an area about 18x18 and the along the house about 3x50 with about 12 small shrubs. what would you charge?

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i usually get 25 sq ft per bale, $8.00/bale delivered and installed, $50.00 minimum charge.

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

25 or 250 sqft?

I usually figure 2 bales per 1000 sqft and charge $9.00 per bale.....

6. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

2 bales per thousand square feet is a good starting point

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, you guys must have some big bales!:dizzy:

The last time I checked with an existing bale in hand, I laid it out like I wanted it (thickness wise) and it covered about a square yard. That's only 9 square feet. I guess what I'm saying is if you want a good measurement of how many you need, get one and spread it out like you want it.

As for me, that job would be at $7.00/bale, about $380.

I just thought of something: Are we talking pine straw (I was) or wheat straw?

8. CURBAPPEAL NC

Pine Straw! You guys are all over the place. IM really confused now!

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

A typical bale SHOULD cover between 75 and 125 Sq Ft. Now, thats if its a full bale, no junk, etc. Ive gotten loose bales that would only cover 60 sf or so. If you figure it at 1 bale per 100 sf, you should be good. that means that you need 5 bales, for which I would charge 40 bucks installed, if they were a regular customer. If not, then I would have a 50 buck minimum.

Buy 8 bales, and see what it takes. You also have to take into consideration what is already there. If its bare, then you should put a bit more on it.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Last summer, I strawed one of my customers berms in his back yard. It measured almost 600 sq.ft.. It took 69 bales of pine straw, which meant $483.00 extra on his bill that month. He thought it looked great and so did my wallet.payup