How many big guys get behind on the billing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jpocket, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I took Monday and Tuesday (4th) of JUly off spent the other half of the wkend at the drag strip.......SHould've did the invoices on friday, but I didn't get the time it would have taken me till like 2:00 AM. Boy do I feel guilty.

For those of you that do the invoices yourself (no Wife/secretary) do you ever get behind, meaning not getting them out on the 2nd or 3rd of the month. I don't think I will have a chance until this wkend. So they won't get them until the 10th. I took the wkend off to have some FUN "me time" now I feel guilty as H3LL, eventhough I i know I was entitled to it.:rolleyes:

Is it that big a deal if they get there invoice 5days late??? It's not like some of them pay on time anyways.

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I do them as they come up. So, the last accounts of any given month get done that night and in the mail the next day. That way, it's alittle more manageable and everything is out by the second or third...the latest.

The later they get out, the later they get back...I like my money....yesterday!

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

You need to get someone sending your invoices out for you. They will print, stuff, add postage and mail them for you. That way all you have to do is email them the file. Yeah it cost but not as much as if I was doing it.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Screw it and have some fun or you burn out in only a couple yrs. And besides there still due and payable even if they arrive late

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes I think it is a big deal. Consistency is good, meaning send the bills out right away. If you are lax sometimes, then they'll figure they can be lax too in sending in their payment like it's no big rush.

6. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

On invoice customers, we bill on the 15th of the month, due upon receipt with late charge after the last day of the month.

I found out a long time ago, it's easier to get money if you're not competing with all the other bills that come due at the 1st of the month.

I may not work for some, but it works for me. Plus, my rental income gets paid around the 1st and my wife does also.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I bill on the 15th and 30th/31st so my goal is to have them ready to mail out the next morning...sometimes it doesn't happen...sometimes I'm a few days late :)

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was thinking....Seroiusly though I think im at the point where I need to start delegating some respensibility. I need a foreman with a valid DL someone i can trust, so that I can take care of things like this. I work atleast 50 hours a week in the field, sometimes I don't have time to go to the bank even. 3days a week in the field would be nice, but I need someone I can trust.

9. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

We're never behind billing, they're usually just behind paying.

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I bill near the 23rd and just tell them hey! I've done this for snow and am doing for lawns. I want to get paid as fast as possible. If they pay late, and it turns out to be a bad client (could happen) you will be less in the hole with them. I phone near the end of the month and say Hey did you get your bill? oh I forgot to mail it - oh I'll be cutting tommorrow leave it in the mail box.

I'm small LCO right now so this works.