1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How many big guys on here?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joshman108, Aug 1, 2012.

1. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Totally agree--shush on the 'easy to make money in Texas' !
    :laugh:

I tell people that when you look around this country you see money everywhere...just waiting to be spent on something...you just have to figure how to get it legally

2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I wanna know where you are getting 27% on your money:)

3. TinMan1

TinMan1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SC

2 3man crews ..........plenty big enough...........

4. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i would agree. i would even go a step or two further and say 70-80% of guys on here don't even gross 100-200k but act like they do

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would agree as well. One thing to talk on here and another to do it. That is the reason I am not on here much or chit chat about the 6x10 trailer I bought all while talking smack. Good discussion though.

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I tell people that when you look around this country you see money everywhere...just waiting to be spent on something...you just have to figure how to get it legally

There's money being spent on landscaping out the wazu, at least around here. I see wayy too many 1mil and over houses being bought with two or three 100K cars sitting in the driveway to think there's no money out there.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am thinking I want to grow to 15 employees not including me. I am 1/5 of the way there.

8. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

Man, you sound a lot like me. We have very similar situations and similar numbers too...it's actually kinda crazy, i have a partner as well and he does the chemicals...i do the irrigation...and we have a full time mowing crew...

i hear you on the side jobs, sometime they don't seem to make a lot of sense as far as revenue goes...and they aren't as dry cut as mowing is...mowing you show up, you mow, and you leave...clean ups can change while you are on the job, maybe a customer now wants mulch from the bed you cleaned up and now you have to plan for it, have to have your mulch truck, know exactly how much mulch to be put down which is never 100% accurate, etc...

i feel mowing you can do $800 -$1200 per crew per day...that's not chump change...it makes me want to focus more on mowing than expanding into other areas...we might just stay more turf oriented and try to cover the field (mowing, chemicals, irrigation)

i agree with the other guy, i think you guys should focus your mowing more towards the beginning of the week...then when you are done with mowing you can focus on your other stuff and get that done in order in which they come in...i'm sure you have some customers that want their lawn mowed towards the end of the week, especially friday, so it's easier said than done...

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Generating more than 800 per day with a 2 man mowing crew is tough but it can be done.

I will say however Mowing is not a huge money maker when running crews but it does feed the beast. It creates cash flow, it buys and pays for EQ, pays shop rent and even puts some change in the owners hands.

Squirt and Fert / Irrigation repairs are good money. Landscape can be hit or miss. You should not lose money but you may or may not make a ton of money as it is more like construction.

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

The same here! Only got three right now though, looking at next year to be another good growing year though. If all goes well should be able to go to five possibly six.