1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many calls can i expect

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, Aug 20, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If you are closing 100% then you are MOWER FOR LESS, you need to raise your rates. 50% would be doing good
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

No, dont get me wrong, I said only Flyer leads. I find that I close nearly 100% of them I think due to lack of competition, or there not shopping around. As far as leads I get from my other advertising I am closer to 40-50%. I dont know why, but I seem to get more honestly interested leads from flyers. However, I have only handed out maybe 5000 flyers in 3 years, so its not a HUGE pool that I base that on.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

bad day yesterday, only $650 flyers were distributed, in 5 hrs x 2 men = 10 man hrs. i did, however, recieve 3 phone calls yesterday afternoon. but, man it cost alot to get these flyers out. around $1,000 when all is said and done :cry:
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Back when we put flyers out, we consistently got about a 1 to 1 and 1/2-call rate. And usually closed in 30 to 40 % range.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are three reasons I don't do flyers:
    1) What you just said - Expect a percent of responses to this effect.
    2) I never could get enough money for the work mainly because I never could get high enough demand meaning I always felt at least somewhat desperate for work (read the next reason).
    3) I can not match the sheer numbers - I used to get 3-4 calls per thousand flyers and it takes 6 HOURS to put them out (measure yourself and I fairly guarantee you can't put out no thousand in no 6 but maybe if you do it as long as I did then you can) - Now I gotta spend what, 60 HOURS to put out 10 thousand when my time is NOT free and here for 90 dollars / week I can advertise in a newspaper gets sent to 250 THOUSAND households (granted not all of them have lawns but whatever) and I get anywhere from 3-4 calls/day to 3-4 calls/week from that.

f*k flyers lol
  6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say its worth your time. Good luck.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It will all depend on your market and the looks of your flyer. My flyers in the spring were very professional looking. I also offered "3 Free Mowings". I had close to 30,000 flyers delivered via neighborhood newsletters (the cost for delivery was around .03 cents each) and had a terrible return. For mowing, gave about 8 estimates. I picked up 4 accounts....2 cancelled and still mowing the other 2. My campaign next spring will target more of the chem app side of the business (higher profit margin and less competitive).

Show us your flyer!!!
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Your forgetting your own advice...
    In order to keep your costs down you need to be charging these newly acquired clients some fees.... perhaps a flier distribution fee, a printing fee, a new account setup fee and the estimate preparation fee.

And by the way, Lets see the flier......
  9. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

You are absolutely right WellsÂ… BG show us the flyer maybe we can help with some other suggestions on the design, wording, or just the layout. You came to us,we are here to help.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

YOU???? help ME????? i can't post the flyer , for one very good reason- I DON'T KNOW HOW!! but, i can describe it to you. it's black ink on matt lime green paper. it says- XYZ lawn and landscape celebrating our 10th year in business and currently accepting new clients. we are a full service property maint company. lawn mowing- fert programs-lawn renovations/seeding/thatching/aeration/sod. trimming/pruning/instalation of trees + shrubs. topsoil/mulch/stone. fall leaf cleanup. we are fully insured. we are state trained and licensed by the dept of environmental protection. new customers recieve SPECIAL DISCOUNT. call now for your FREE quote. here's the update on the flyers- we got 650 out last saturday. we got 125 out monday. this totals 775 flyers. we recieved 13 calls . we signed 4 new lawn mowing customers, we signed 4 lawn renovations, one of which i ended up dumping. i'm pleased to this point. we should get out about 1,000 more this weekend. the kids i had putting them out averaged only 35 each per hr. my man chico put out 125 in 2 hrs. guess who's working sunday......