how many clients do you have?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Sep 27, 2001.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i was just wondering how many client you or your company has, including mowing fertilizing heges snow etc. around here the average is about 50-150 just wondering how many you have regardless of size.
    right now i have about 15 full time and a few just mowing/bush work etc but no snow work. i am 15 years old, am I right track? I want to grow the company to be the biggest in the area and am wondering when you started? and how many clients you had your first year in the biz or when you were my age?
    thanks

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'm around 50. But that # is irrelevant. My properties may be bigger or smaller than others. I have a few at less than 3000 sf and up to over 2 acres. The average is in the 1/2 area.

3. Dlandscaping, the number of accounts a company has is irelevant. You can go for the big numbers of accounts, and make your money over volume. Then there are those people who work, themself and 3 or more other people at about 10 places or so, and that keeps them busy all year long. Just depends on how big the places are? Can you really equate (1) big corporate account that will pay you 140K per year with a small residential account that you do the same thing as per year for 5K? Someplace that pays $140 per year, could keep a crew of 2 busy every day, without needing any other customers.

4. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I only have 18 clients but one has 67 properties that I maintain. All are year round customers except for one and it's a 10 month contract.

5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We have about 30 residentials, one 7 acre commercial and some other small commercials. Sounds like your on the right track just done get in over your head too fast. Take your time and learn as fast as you grow!!!!!

6. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey i am only 18 and i have about and average of 25 yards a week. All yards are about the same size. Doesnt take me but about 18 hrs by myself to get them all done. Very little drive time for the majority. This is my second year with a 48" Lesco hydro w/b. I like it but am ready to start riding. If i decide to do it again next year i figure i will need to pick up at least 15 or so accounts to make it worth my while. When i have someone helping me i can get them all done in a 13-14 hours total between us two. Sometime as many as 30 yards too. I want more too but i dont want to get in over my head. since many times as the year goes on you tend to have people drop off. I just lost a few because people were moving, or started to feel better-health wise. I take all of that into consideration when i start off. Figure on losing a few cust. over the year. This past year i picked up 14 new. So it takes time. Make sure what you pick up you can handle. You want to keep the customer happy. Each year you will wish you had more since you are getting stuff done quickly. That is why there is always next year. Good luck.
    Eric

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

About 50 weekly, and maybe 10-20 who call me with various landscaping projects

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We maintain approx, 70 summer maintenance accounts and 30 winter season accounts, 6 Of the year round accounts are 40 plus unit condos and 3 shopping centers. Even in winter we stay real busy with plowing. We are adding hydroseeding and sprinkler installation next season for added groth.

9. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

im 20 and it takes me and 2 people 4 days to mow
    about 50-70 accounts but some are condos with some
    acreage- then we work for 8 months-too cold in mn.
    I go to mexico for a few months and chill out and come
    back fired up

10. I hover somewhere between 200 to 250, but half of them are less than 400 sq.ft..

Having high numbers doesn't mean anything though.... I think you should of asked something like sq.ft ect... you cut.

All the above are all year for me as we do work the 52 weeks a year.

John