How many cubic feet of clippings for an average subdivision lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FDuce, Apr 11, 2008.

1. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

I am working on a small trailer to convert it to a lawn trailer and would like to have the ability to haul grass clippings if I bagged a lawn. Question is like the title stated...How many cubic feet of clippings do you have for an average subdivision lawn? Not huge upscale subdivision lawns, but lets say houses on 1 acre max. Thanks for any info!
  2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on alot of things grass weight hot tall it is how wet it is if i were you id just leave the trailer and get this load handler system and dump into the back of your truck and if you need to you can build sides so you can haul more
  3. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

Lets say I'm cutting off 1.5 inches, it is dry, and a medium thickness grass. I would rather not put clippings in the bed of my truck, as it has a carpeted bed liner wich I am not going to change.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A train leaves Chicago bound for New York...How long does it take to arrive to it's destination?
  5. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

Lets not make this more complicated than it is. I'm sure someone mowed and bagged an average size lawn today. How big is the catcher? How many times was it emptied? Maybe they didn't keep track how many times it was emptied, but the clippings filled up 1/2, half, 3/4 of a truck bed. Just looking for an estimate, not the exact figure down to a blade of grass.

Oh and assuming an average of 40mph for the train, from city center to center, 19.81225 hours.
  6. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I just bagged a yard Tuesday. The answer you are looking for is
    3-4 X 50gal trash cans.

If you want I can PM you the address and you can see the size of it. I don't know the size off the top of my head.

I also have a Bedrug & they are nice. You can get big trash bags at Walmart and put the grass in them, then put the bags in the bed. The bags I have are about 50gal.
  7. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

with a 2.3 cu. ft. catcher we typically empty it 4 maybe 5 times. so i guess the answer to ur question woule be anywhere from 8 to about 10
  8. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

define average, average homeowner thinks they have an average size yard. On average, average is just an average description of your average situation.
  9. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

Thanks, that puts the clippings at 20 to 26.68 cubic feet (6.68 cubic feet in 50 gallons).