How many Customers before the ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mathproshs, May 31, 2004.

1. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

I have about tripled my customer base to about 13 lawns. Three of them are about an acre and I am currently using a 15 horse 48" Cub commercial. After how many customers and what went into your desision for purchasing a ZTR???
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I bought my first rider so i would have a place to put my beer:drinkup:

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

To be competitive I got mine after one customer. ZTR's could do things I couldn't.
  4. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

After 25 yrs averaging 15 accounts each yr. part time I got a Lazer. If you can afford to, get it. No piont in wearing youself out.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Number of lawns means nothing...type of lawns means everything.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i have about 28 accounts and they are about on average 5k sq ft each, and i get on average 16 a lawn, but most of my lawns are grouped together so i get them done alot faster. during spring time i use my 21's and have 2 people helping. in about 2-3 weeks im getting my first ZTR, im leaning towards a gravley 34z.

and people are telling me not to work hard at my age or else i will be wore out by the time in 30. lol. but i dont think so. anyway, im getting a ZTR so i can get my lawns done faster and that way i can do it solo. :) hope that helps ya some.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

exactly what I was going to say. The type of lawns and what your budget can afford should be your decision. Don't get something just to have it and show it off, get something because you REALLY need it
  8. chris28

chris28 LawnSite Member

I currently do 10 lawns part time. Two are less than an acre. The rest are over an acre. I was worn out walking all of them. Plus now with a ZTR I can get em all done in a day. With the ZTR I have room to add a few neighbors when their new lawns come in.
    You gotta spend money to make money. Good luck.
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

When you have about double what you are doing now. The Z is not going to be that much faster than a 48 WB on smaller lots like you have now.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Again rodfather pulls a rabbit out of the hat. Look at what you cut and demo a rider. If it works get one.