How many customers insist on push mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 3, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How many of your customers ( like 10 out of 15 ) want you to use a push mower on the lawn? How many want it done on front only but let you use a big one on back? I'm wanting to really GROW the biz this year so I am curious how much time I need to figure for using different mowers on lawns and if I'll need a backup push mower. Thanks,
    Eric

2. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont take any customers that I cant at least fit my 36" walk behind in their yard. If they want you to use a little push mower, Tell them FORGET IT!! Unless you charge them for all the extra time you are their with it.

Lasher66

3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, I just purchased a 36" to do away with my push mowers.

the score is:

push mowing = 0
    36" or 60" mowers =38

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I do this for those that are adamant that none shall use a tractor or heavy machinery on their lawns. I originally figured an average of $5-7 per m-sf would be suffiecient.

I have upped the ante to $7-9 per m-sf. If you would normally get $30-35 for a 10m-sf property, plan on sending out invoices for $70-90 for cutting them with a 21 inch unit.

You will want to charge more for this service not just because you will be spending quite a bit more time to complete the site correctly, but now it will fall into the category of special requests and everyone knows that we are more than happy to perform just such a service -LOL!!!

Unfortunately we have to charge for the extra time it takes to complete such requests.

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

ZTR: 33

22" pusher: 1

That "1" is a tiny 15 minute start to finish lot...@ $25. I like that one! :D

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd insist they find someone else to use it.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't leave the door open that a push mower cut is an option, then it won't be an issue.

No lawns of mine are done with anything less than a 52, except for one small embankment 10x50.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thanks guys. I wouldn't mind doing one with a push mower, but it would be more unless it would be too much pain with a bigger one anyway (like too many obstacles, too steep, etc) Kris-what's m-sf mean? Thanks,
    Eric

9. GreenIsland

GreenIsland LawnSite Member

I operate in Western Kansas, the majority of people feel cheated if you don't push as well as remove clippings from site. Therefore I use Toro 21" equipment with the BBc system- For most of my Residentials. Although alot of commercial accounts will allow you to use zero turns or walk behinds. The residentials almost always have gates on their back properties that would prohibit the use of anything but the smallest deck walkbehind or riders. People out here like to see other people work I guess. I also have the uniqueness of operating a business in a area of very tight finanically people due to their german transpalanted to -russia hertiage - they have seen very tought times and are very old country in their nature-( The joke around here is that he or she has the first penny they ever made). This as well adds to the want to see you push- Unfortunately, until I find a better area I will have to push- as Pleasing the customer comes before comfort of the LCO. Out of all crews in this area that I only know of one crew that uses a zero turn on his accounts and he still uses his 21 inchers alot. I have noticed that elderly people in general want to see that lawn mowed via push- again I would chalk this one up to seeing tough times and tough work as well. I am not complaining just explaining how certain areas work or want you to work. I might add Toros have been the only mower that can stand the day in day out work that this area demands of it's pushers.

10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You have several choices. I always either charge more, or tell them the Walker is the back bone of my business, and if they don't like it to call some body else. When I go out to give bids I try to feel them out, and see what they say. If need be I will ask them if they have an objection, if they say yes, the price can be adjusted, or tell them to move on.
    One thing that has worked is to measure the gate to back yard. When asked what are you doing I tell them I am measuring to see if my rider will fit. Right away you will learn if they have a problem with that.

GreenIsland I feel sorry for you having to do all that walking, and some time you should try a JX 85 John Deere mower. I have one that has been around for 5 years, and is still running very strong. The first three years I had it it got used a ton. Not so much now the last couple, I have been getting lazy and using the Walker as much as possible.