1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many days without lost time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by On the go, Sep 9, 2003.

1. On the go

On the go LawnSite Member
    from PA

Got a question.
    I was working the other day and got to thinking I've been in business for myself for about 11yrs now. And besides sick time ( flu or virus ) I' haven't missed a day of work due to on the job injuries. Was wondering what everybody else's track record was.
    If you got stitches or broke a finger but went to work the next day that works too. As long as you didn't miss a day. So lets hear !!!
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I moved this from the truck forum. Figured it's better suited over here.

Matt and I have been in business for 5 years now.
    Matt hasn't missed a day of scheduled work since we started this business. He will work even when he isn't feeling well.
    One day Matt did quit early due to a mishap while working. He was trimming this overgrown bush, and he got stung in the eye by a wasp. He wasn't able to finish up the day. Other than that he has been really lucky.

I miss work occassionally due to sickenss and those pesky woman issues. ;) But I have never quit work early due to any injuries.

We've both been really lucky.
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

In the 16 years I've been in business for myself legitimately, I think I've missed 5! One day real sick (missed plowing - took radio in bathroom w/ me to communicate w/ crews). Missed 2 others to stomach flu & maybe 1-2 more for 24 hr. bug.

I know I've worked every fall w/ a nasty cold that has lasted at least 1 week. Sore throats don't stop me - nor do fevers. I have to be ill!

I don't count vacation days as missed days. I generally take 1-2 weeks during the year total.

On the other hand - it never ceases to amaze me the number of days the employees seem to miss!:rolleyes: :eek:
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

too many
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Well there was some years ago, was in a car accident. Out of work the rest of the season. Business still operated.

Other than that, I am not qualified to answer this question.
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The best part of being in business for yourself is that you can miss work, call off for the day, and not have to worry about the boss bit.ching at you about it. If I'm sick, I'll try to work. But if I'm really laid out and not feeling well, all bets are off. I got extremely dizzy in the middle of the day this year and had to go home. Every so often I'll take a day off when I'm burned out or need a day. That's about it.

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Two summers ago I woke up in a back yard with the T-270 running right next to me in the grass. Heat stroke; never knew what hit me until it was over. I took the rest of that day off.:dizzy:
  8. temlawn

temlawn LawnSite Member

Not one in 8 years.............Not one..............got sick....went to work....got heat stroke.........worked anyway........worked all day....worked all night sometimes until 11 or 2 am. All the time....still thinking about work for tomorrow and its 9:24pm...
  9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I missed a day cause of my stupidity once. Had a friend that was laid up for about a month from a serious accident and was staying with me. Woke up got ready for work and had some shoulder pain, been bothering me for a while. Took to asprins and went off to work. About 3 hours later I could barely stay awake and couldnt feel my hands or feet, actually my whole body was numb and I couldnt see to well. Turns out I had accidently taken 2 Methadomes instead of asprin, real high intense pain killer I guess. Needless to say had my girlfriend pick me up and my dad came and got my truck and trailer for me. I didnt feel normal for over 24 hours. I read the labels on the meds a little better now.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In 9 years I have missed 7 days, all right in a row. About 6 years ago I slipped in the shower and cracked a rib. I worked with the cracked rib until it broke. Then I took a week off. When I started back to work my wife went with me for a week pulling the mowers off the trailer and trimming.