HOW MANY DO DRIVE BYs ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Dec 28, 2006.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

How many people do drive bys and check out the competitions lawn work ? I picked up a Realtors lawn a few years ago and she remarked how she could tell the lawns I did in the neighborhood. I have converted most of my customers to raising the height of cut and using fall aeration to improve turf conditions. when I cruise the neighborhood I can see the lawn crews who have no idea about turf they just mow and the ones who have some knowledge. Many of the squirt and fert services over treat lawns and the rapid growth requires 5 day mowing that most people can't afford. When they do cut the lawn it is a hassle and they cut below the chlorophyll level and get a yellow lawn. I'm still amazed[and thankful] at how important it is for people to have a stand out lawn . For years I tried to make it seem simple and finally learned to say "just leave it to me" and "here's your bill"

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't fertilize, But almost all of my lawns, look great. The one's with Irrigation anyway. I cut mine .5 to 1.0 inche higher, during the Hot season, so they Stay green.

I have recived multiple comments, and new customers due to how the lawns look I do.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Around me all the lawn are recommended to be cut at at least 3 inches. That doesn't mean you have to cut at three inches. I'm almost always at 3 1/2 to 4 inches. I agree people are cutting to low, but we can talk about that in the spring. I have to go do an indian snow dance now. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

4. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

I just came back from doing my dance, Still aint nothin happenin around here yet.....Good luck with that!

5. jeffex

3" is the lowest I'll cut for tall fescue. I got a new laptop and its easier to be on lawnsite so don't mind my out of season posts!! I hope you get some snow!!

6. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

I don't have time to see what everyone else is doing. You should only be worrying about yourself, who cares what the competition is doing?

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't cut under 3". Nothing worse then a scalped, burned, unhealthy lawn. I don't understand a few of my clients who want their lawn cut as short as possible, for some wacky reason they think there lawn will look better and not need to be cut as often. I you cut to low then the lawn get overgrown with weeds, crabgrass and is more prone to get disease. It also looks thin and can easliy be burned in the summer heat.

Ya, i like to keep an eye on what the competition is doing. What i like best is when i'm on a property and another LCO pulls up to the house across the street or beside me and starts working. Kinda funny, we just keep on working and sometimes look over at each other to checkout what kind of tools we use. then when one of us leaves we wave and head off to the next lawn.

Hay if it aint gonna snow lets see the grass grow!:drinkup:

8. jeffex

I told my son when he worked with us that I take pride in our lawns because other lawn guys will check out what we are doing. We like to stripe lawns for our own pleasure because some customers don't even care.

9. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

3", 4", 5", 6", I know you shouldn't scalp a lawn but....

I Didn't think It mattered so much as long as you only cut 1/3 of the blade of grass in a mowing????

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I may notice a competitor's lawn per chance, but as a rule I really don't have the time to be checking into that.