1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many do this part-time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Feb 23, 2003.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Just curious as to how many of you guys on here work a full-time job & do Lawn Care p-time. And for those of you who did that at first & made the leap to Full Time Lawncare....How tough was the transition money wise(not having a regular company paycheck coming in)?? Thanks
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hey tinman.
    I am a part timer for about 10 years now in the lawn care business. Stump grinding business for little over 2 years now. Just bought a new John Deere 4510 4X4 tractor w/ loader to go with my stump biz and to offer a few more services.
    I have a great paying full time job with excellent benefits. Only have to show up about 30 hrs a week from 12 mid to 6 am and that allows me to do what I really enjoy. My part time work.

I will eventually quit my full time job. Just waiting on the right time.
  3. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I do this lawn care on a part time base. As I grow I plan on leaving my full time job to do the lawn stuff. I plan on converting in about 2 yrs. It's fells a little scary as I've never done anything else but work full time for someone else. So working for myself will be a Big Leap in a world I'm not familiar with. Is that your plans in the future?? Good Luck...

4. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I'd like to go full time soon. It's just hard like you said to leave a job that gives you a check every friday for just showing up basically. Really the main reason for me wanting to quit my full time job is because of the 12 hour shifts. After 5+ years of that I'm kinda burnt out on the hours. EASY job though.
    When I go Full time into Lawn Care, I think it will be at least a Year before I have enough business to justify doing it. But I have a relative I can work with on Days I do not have any work.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Is High School considered full-time? LOL :cool: I did 15 a week last year, taking on at least 10 more this year WHILE doing homework. Not fun because homework was tough to do, but possible. Go for it!