How Many Door Hangers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mwalz, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Door hangers are how i get some cheap advertising for mowing. I have a friend who prints them real cheap for me. Nothing fancy just black lettering and pictures on yellow paper. But since i want to grow my business a lot this year i need some advice so i don't get too many people that are asking for my services. Last year i put out about 75 door hangers to see what the response was. In return i got 7 jobs out of it. My goal for 2014 is somewhere between 20-30 yards. I don't want too many where i can't handle them, but i don't want to go hang a huge amount this year. So i guess what I'm trying to ask is about how many should i put out? I'm thinking somewhere between 700-1,000 hangers. I know this will be opinionated answers, but i need to get an idea. I hang them in lower to middle class neighborhoods mostly. I'll attach an image of lasts years hanger and some opinions are greatly appreciated.

Matt's lawncare 2012 no #.jpg

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

More like 2000 to 5000:waving:

3. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know but i would beef up that flyer for best results. Im not trying to offend you but it looks like you're 13 yrs old in a neighborhood trying to get work. If you are 13 then that looks great and i think u will do well

4. mwalz

Well i actually made that when i was 13....lol I'm 16 now, I'll have to talk to him and ask how much color printing is. Any good sites you know of to order door hangers?

5. szykan

szykan LawnSite Member

I wouldn't change the flyer. Although you could ad a testimonial of one of your existing customers on there. You got 7 jobs by passing out 75 flyers. That is 10-20x what normal return on flyers is. Don't be surprised if your return rate drops. Start off with 1000 and go from there.
    You should be able able to pass out anywhere from 50-125 flyers an hour depending on the nieghbor hood. Good luck and keep asking questions.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

7. Olympia

Olympia LawnSite Member

Plan it graphics is a good website... to get door hangers from..
    (Marketing tools for the lawn and landscape industry)

8. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

16? kudos to you for starting a business. DONT give up. if you have a dream chase it until you reach it. congrats on your start

9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If you put out 75 of those and got 7 calls, that's above average performance. If you turned all 7 calls into sales, that's an above average closing ratio…this could be an indication that your prices might be too low.

How much did each of those 7 jobs sell for?

10. mwalz

Well actually i have been cutting grass since i was 13 for money. The last part of the summer of 2013 i bought my first walk behind. Going to get a trailer this spring as well. That's why i want to grow to get a lot of lawns so i can make a lot of money this spring - fall instead of working at McDonald's. My next big purchase will be an f-150, or i hope that's what it will be.