1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many drive small pickups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moneyman, Jun 5, 2004.

1. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

How many of use small pickup trucks to tow your trailer or just use the bed to haul equipment around.

I have a 4cyl nissan frontier that gets about 20 mpg with a traielr loaded with 1000 lbs.
    I can get 25mpg without a trailer. Im sure the bigger LCOs like the bigger trucks but im part time so going slower does not bother me. Plus at 20 mpg with a loaded 5x8 trailer is a bonus in my eyes.

Anyone else out there.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I use one because I have to. I use a 92 Mitsubishi 4 cyl. I have a 6.5 x 12 trailer with an extended gate on the back and it can really slow me down. The trailer only has a wb, trim mower, backpack blower, backpack sprayer, and 3 trimmer tools with all the racks to hold this stuff. The truck really gets a workout. The timing belt is the only thing I really worry about. I used my cousins ranger 6 cyl one time and it pulled it just fine. I love to have a big ford with a diesel and a stake dump bed.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Most landscape trailers are light, Under 5000#. So I don't believe you need a big truck to pull it. If you trailer is truly 1000# than you may be alright, but I would check that out A 5x8 is 4-500# a WB is 4-500#, throw in a few extras and you are over 1000#. A Z by itself is 12-1300# so be carfull.
    You should have at least a 6cyl. with an auto. with a 5000# tow rating. If the trailer is over 1000# than you need to have brakes on it. Most people here have a much bigger truck than they need because it is their only ride so it has to be multi purpose. A 1/2 ton, base model 6cyl. auto is what most would need but what fun would that be on weekends. NO 2 tons of mulch in the back either.
    As far as your set-up, I think you are at the limit. Brakes being the most important factor.
    But what do I know--I drive an 8.1-3500.
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

96' Toyota 4Runner (V6) pulling a 6x10 with a 21" Lawnboy, 36" Toro Proline, and a 61" Stander, plus trimmers, blowers, etc. pulls fine. But I will replace it with a full size Diesel when the time comes. I am Part-time also.

5. LittleOranges

LittleOranges LawnSite Member

1993 Jeep Cherokee. Hunter green. Excellent condtion. Pulls trailer better than my 96 Dodge Dakota. Especillay when it's wet! The Jeep has a 4.0 litre engine.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Personal opinion and experience has me sticking with a full size for my operation but I grew into it. I started with a 6X10 trailer and a 85 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 4 cyl. What was I thinkin? I didn't know better but learned quick. Went to a 91 Chev S10 w/4.3l 6 cyl. Then I upgraded the trailer to a 6.6 x 14 because the business grew. The S 10 would not pull it faster than 55MPH unless I had a tailwind. That is the truth. I was a hazard on the highways but got decent mileage. The tranny was straining on that one and we traded up for the 98 Chev Z-71 1/2 ton. Now that works real well except when I go to get fertilizer. A pallet weighs 2000Lbs and the 1/2 ton squats a bit. I just can't see a 3/4 yet because they ride so hard but eventually I know I'll have to get one.

misc 036.jpg
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW!!! That is squating a bit in the back. I used a 1/2 ton gmc 4x4 for 8 years and it did ok, but realy sucked the gas. I traded up to a 3/4 ton dodge, and it is amazing in the difference when pilling the trailer, and especially, when stopping. It handles better also. And it doesn,t have that bad of a ride empty, actually it rides pretty good.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a GMC s-15 and a 6x12 trailer, get about 15- 17 mpg. This combo has worked for many years for me but it is a load on the truck, I have purchased a full size 2wd Chevy and Im in the process of getting it ready to put in service
  9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a full size, but my daughter runs a 72 Mazda ( yes, 1972, first year they were imported) pick-up, and tows a 71 6x10 trailer. Works great, and back then, the trucks were built to haul tons. This little truck hauls more than my full size truck, that I drive.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Not all larger trucks ride harsh. I have a 75 CHEVY 1 TON that weighs 6500 and rides excellent, even on dirt roads.