How many Dumps per charge on your trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Feb 23, 2011.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Ive been having charging issues on my dump trailer since new. After having it worked on its up to 2 dumps per charge. It is a 7 ton. How many dumps do you get on yours?

2. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

I dont have a dump trailer and im not great with wiring but wouldnt there be a way to have it charging from your truck as you drive. Im thinking of how you could do it through your existing trailer wiring harness.Then it would always be ready. Anybody do this?

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

yes you can do that. Im planning on doing it with my truck but Id still like to know how much the deep cycle batt should be good for.

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

The only guy I knew with a dump trailer got rid of it for exactly that reason. They were getting 2 dumps and then having to run jumper cables to continue working.

After one season they got rid of it and got a dump truck.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

ya I want a truck bad

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I can dump my 12ft dump trailer 3-4 times when fully loaded with mulch.... that last dump does take a bit longer.

Just bought a new Isuzu Dump and looking forward to not having to worry about how much juice I have left and if i will be able to dump!

Will still probably keep the dump trailer for spring cleanups as its much lower to load debris into than the dump truck.

7. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I have a buddy who took care of this problem. He bought the jumper cables that bolt onto the battery post and have a quick connect. These are simular to the jumper cables alot of tow companies use to that they don't have keep popping their hood. Basically one end of the cable hooks to the batery, he then ran the other end along the fram and attached it to the traler hitch mount, that end has the female plug. then the second cable attaches to the trailer battery and it's other end has a male plug which plugs right into the cable at the hitch

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

wow, really? it should charge from your truck.... take it a trailer place and get that fixed..

9. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Junior - It isn't that dump trailers aren't getting charged; its that they use a very low trickle of juice to recharge the battery through the trailer plug. If you dump the trailer a couple of times, the battery is so run down that you can't charge it fast enough for the next dump.

10. AdvLandscapeLLC

AdvLandscapeLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'll do nine full capacity dumps a day cold or warm out, I set the trailer up to charge off the truck whenever the truck is running. I run approx 350-400 cords of wood a year with the trailer and it hasnt failed me yet. it is a 7x16ft bri-mar gooseneck dump any questions shoot me a message on here.

-Mike:usflag: