How many Dumps per charge on your trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

The battery that came in my trailer is an Interstate. It is wired with appropriate size cabling for the job. I can for sure get 6 8K dumps out of it. But for sure can't get 6 14K dumps out of it. If I were to forego the charging cable from my trucks pair of batteries to the dump trailer, I would definitely look into industrial batteries for the dump trailer.

2. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

You probably aren't interested or close enough but I'm selling a new Deka 8A8D deep cycle battery for $300, it's a $600 battery. 1,450 cold cranking amps. It weighs 160lbs lol.

3. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i think they sell something like that for people hauling boats. look into basspro,cabelas or gander mountain. im not 100% but i think it goes from youre alltenator to the battery on youre trailer. also i know harbor freight sells a solar charger, you might be abel to mount that to the trailer. or get a new battery and keep a spare with u.

4. AdvLandscapeLLC

AdvLandscapeLLC LawnSite Senior Member

i ran mine into the charge terminal in the trailer harness and have had no problems or complaints in 2 years, every couple months i'll top off the battery on the charger just for good measure.:usflag:

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I cant get 3 empty dumps out of mine. If you dont have yours hooked up to the truck and charge it up through the plug, how many empty dumps right in a row without a break can you get?
    I got mine in Cairo too. Last year the guy at bonded in Averil Park overloaded with crusher. It did fine, the truck on the other hand, not so much, I wont do that again:)

6. ParkWelding

I don't know how many empty dumps I would get on a full charge. Probably a minimum of 10 up and down cycles. Full dumps probably 5 in a row would be tops now. Less on overloaded trips. Seems like the power down takes a lot more juice than I would have thought.

I got a stout load of crusher at Bonded that the guy loaded right up the back doors. There was 5.5ton and I could just see the joint between the bed floor and front of the trailer. Talk about no tongue weight. Luckily I only had to go about 2 miles. I try not to go there for material when possible. Especially if you're looking for clean stone. The pit Rifenburgh runs just around the corner on RT150 seems to have nicer material.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

isnt that huffys on 150 or is there another one?

8. ParkWelding

Thats the one. I think some people still call it Hoffay's pit. I don't really know what it is.

9. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

Keeping a battery on trickle causes the lead plats to crud up and cuts capacity of your battery . You should run full charge to half charge.
    John

10. ParkWelding

Its not trickle. Its an automatic electronic battery charger that does what its supposed to do.