How many employees does it take for you to net $1k per week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, May 27, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Without all the variables what does it take to net $1k a week, should you net that much with just 1 employee or 2 or 3?
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno... I didnt put much thought into this, but I THINK a solo guy should be able to do it. These are using numbers from my area, so yours are probably totally differnet.

15 lawns a day (very reasonable number really)
    x $25 per lawn (unfortunately is about average around here)
    = $375 gross per day
    x 5 days
    = $1875 gross per week.

Now of course you have to figgure in all the expenses, but I don't see how you could net less then $1k/wk. Of course if you were as bad at management as I am you could probably end up making about zero, but most people are by far better at managing things.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Without all the variables? since its such an open ended question, we'll give an open ended answer....
    If I didn't have to pay for gas, payments on my mowers and truck, insurance, equipment repairs, mortgage (I keep my equipment in my garage), and salary for my employee, I'd clear $1000/ wk. by myself easily, in my pocket.
    Now, in the real world, I couldn't really do that b/c If I didn't have at least a few of those expenses I'd be walking to work, working with no insurance, and keeping my equipment somewhere else... oh, yeah, about that gas bill, I guess I wouldn't be mowing at all!
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

With the right variables a solo operator could do that.
  5. privatelawn

Ok what im saying about the variables is if I have a 2006 f350 etc etc then I would maybe make nothing but that would be in a different topic...

What I want to know is how many employees does it take for you to net $1k a week with your normal expenses, everyones response will most likely be different, im not interested in knowing how much id make by myself as im looking to find out what employees should make me
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Around here with myself and 1 employee cutting you can gross about $2800 per 40hr week.

My basis is with each crew with 2 members you should be able to gross 2800 per week. So figure 40 hours a week for two employees would be $800 per week, fuel would be $150, dumping the grass if you bag $50, insurance per week $100, truck payment $300, equipment maintenance $200, missolunios $200. So thats about $1800 with two people on one crew grossing 2800. So then your netting $1000 after expenses, if its you and one employee add $400 to that $1000.

hope this makes since.
  7. privatelawn

if I had 100 employees and netted only $1000 a week than the variables are most likely the problem or im a lowballer... Im not looking to just make $1000 net per week what im trying to find out if I should try netting $1000 per 2 employees or for every 3, 4 , 5 employees....
  8. privatelawn

Pretty much what I was looking for, Thanks

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got the same question asked in two different posts. Nobody will be able to answer it, as EVERYONES situation is different.
    I would personally recommend to make sure your employees at LEAST double their pay (gross pay, taxes and all) to cover expenses for the equipment and overhead they use, and still leave some money in your pocket. That would work for me with my overhead, but may not work for your situation. If, like you say, you can work one subdivision with minimal windshield time, you may be able to make more with the same situation by keeping your operating costs down. I know in Orlando (I have family there, actually in Oveida, sp?) the houses are much closer with smaller lawns than we have up here, I have more windshield time, but probably charge more per lawn. I pay my ONE employee very fair, maybe you hire immigrants, I dont know. I'm just making a point that everyones situation is VERY different, it is a very hard question to answer. I know of one local LCO that charges much less than myself, he works solo and has done this for many years. He has very little debt and very low overhead, and probably makes as much or more than I do with fewer lawns. Once you know your TRUE costs, you can answer the question yourself.
    my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
  10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

ummmm................ one.