How many employees??? Just starting w/ 50 accounts!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by the lawnscaper, Jan 3, 2008.

1. the lawnscaper

the lawnscaper LawnSite Member

I bought 50 accounts and wanted to know how many employees I should hire? Lawns are small to medium size. I will be mowing, edging,fertilizing and leaf clean ups. Any ideas???

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe 1 if that. How tight is the route your going to be working and what equipment do you have?

3. the lawnscaper

All accounts are very close in proximity. I will have a brand new exmark 52" w/ 23 hp Kohler, 21" Toro self propelled mower, one PB755 Echo blower, little wonder edger, two echo line trimmers and a bedshaper. I'm looking into a truck for a leaf vaccuum system for this fall. Any suggestions for this equipment? Thanks!

4. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

1 Helper should easily handle the work load, How many square ft. per lawn average??

5. the lawnscaper

I'm just getting into the biz, but if I were to guestimate, I would say around 1/4 to 1/2 acre per account. I don't no how many s/ft that is.

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

did you check with the guy you bought from???? what ever it took him just add a few minutes to each home until you get up to speed. if you don't know how to man this route do you know if you can pull a profit from these accounts. i don't understand how you can buy accounts at a certain price and you don't know what it will take to stay above water. well anyways good luck.........

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

1 good man should do it, you need a mower with leaf and grass pickup like a walker mower. if you have a truck loader you still need to bring the leaves to the truck which will take a lot of time. you should check out www.walkermowers.com you can interchange the decks use grass and leaf pickup then change decks and mow with side discharge. they have a high lift dump attachment, once hopper is loaded you can dump right into truck bed which speeds up mowing time. www.betterheadsllc.com is where you can get trimmer heads the you can trim along fences and the string will last longer. because chainlink will eat up string fast. i use john deere trimmers better warranty and service and plenty of power. i use redmax 8000 backpack blowers the most powerful blower out there. which will become much needed. why do you have a bed edger? you can do it all with the right trimmer set up. we mow 75 big and small yards a week i have 2 trucks and 3 employees we also do tree work and other lawncare jobs in the mornings at 8 am while the grass dries out. we start mowing around 11 am to 5pm

8. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you got all the equipment you need for now. Your blower and a tarp or bags should work fine for those size lots on the leaf clean ups. You just need to get busy and see how this is going to turn out. Are all your accounts weekly or biweekly. I wouldn't hire help until I was sure that I needed them.

9. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I also have about 50 accounts lot size varies a lot1/4 ac-6-7 ac
    If I push myself I can do all of them but sometimes I have help(my dad) toward the end of the week to finish up if I need it

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I had a tight route in florida nothing over a 1/2 acre. depending on the day I was getting 10-15 mowed each day by myself 8-9 hours each day. In the summer is was full on cutting, in the fall and spring it was shrub trimming, mulching, fert, squirt.

Once I hit that point and I was unable to take on any more accounts is when I started hiring people.