how many fert. w/o aerating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToG, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i don't own an aerater, but plan on applying fert. to a few yards. my question is, how many of you fertilize w/o aerating? would it be worth it for me to rent one and take a loss? or should i just spread the fert.? another, how do you charge for fertilization? i live in the NE, anyone with suggestions on what the best all-around fert. for the money is? thanks for your help, i'm trying to sort some things out..
  2. I schedule the majority of my aerating in the fall.

I'd think if it were aerated plus fertilized in the spring, I'd have a tough time keeping up with the mowing. I'll be mowing every 5 days from now till July as it is.

You're mowing bluegrass too aren't you?

IGROTURF LawnSite Member
    from CHAR NC

I dont know about uo north, but here in clay soils and growing fescue, Core aeration help with compaction, gas exchange, nuitrents down to the roots. In warm season turf, aeration warms the soils plus a little dethatching.So aeration is a good cultural practice plus you will make $$$$$. Igroturf
  4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Do an internet search for and there will be a zip code locater in there. If your Lesco guy is anything like mine, he'll be a human computer with answers as soon as you pose the question.

For the most part, you won't need an aerator until fall comes around so you might be able to put the money away for one this season. That's what I plan on doing. The good ones (core aerators) are about 2K. If you don't have the funds for one then line up jobs to take place on one or maybe two consecutive days and rent a machine to get it done. The rental fee for the day will be paid for with the first job you do.

You can do fert right away with just a little cash. The Lesco spreader with deflector is about $300, then you'll need a little money to buy the pre emergent, etc. I got my pesticide license right away & bought a bottle of dormant oil for shrubs, plus some "three way" so I can spot spray the mature weeds.

I'm new in this, but right away I can see how the fert applications, etc., are a great way to augment business. I put all three of the applications I mentioned to use on a yard this evening & it was very profittable.
  5. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Aeration helps but I would not say that if you cant aerate then you shouldn't fertilize at all. I also schedule this for the fall. As for a fertilizer co. I use Lesco. They are nation wide and I am sure there is one near you. They can tell you what to put down and when until you are more comfortable with deciding yourself. Go to and you can find a store by entering your zip.
  6. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Wow I type slow someone beat me to it........