How many flyers can you pass out in a week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 17, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

I was wanting to pass out in the neighborhood of 7-10,000.. get a 1 to 2% return.. thats about 100 lawns... right?

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Taking flyers to the door of every house = 500 to 800 per day. It depends on the neighborhood. Smaller lots are easier to distribute to than larger lots.

David

3. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

This was the first year of my business. I put out about 800 total flyers in the nice neighborhoods close to my home. I received various work (mulching, mowing, ect) on about 3% of those flyers. I never put another flyer out again all season. I started my company with one regular customer that was a 40 dollar cut. I grossed 74,000 in sales, returning about 43,000 in profit after expenses. My advice, do a great job, once your in a neighborhood, you will get more work, plenty of quality referals, and it never ends. The only thing that I did on top of that was strategically place some business cards in a couple of gas stations, and put a 30 dollar a month add in the premo neighborhood local newspaper. I'm betting that 90% of my customers will return this year. The other 10% will either do things themselves, or weren't looking for anything regular. I was thouroughly amazed at how things actually turned out. I'll tell you, I was scared to death starting this business with everything i needed being bought in loans and put on credit cards to start. Now, I don't even think about those bills. Hell, the first time I had to put 60 dollars in gas in my new f250, I thought man, how am I ever going to succeed with all this overhead. This year, I want to do over 100,000, and I'm pretty sure I will. I really think that if I had put out 5,000 flyers, I could have bought two trucks, hired 3 people, bought a couple of exmarks and trailors, and had a mid sized company almost immediately. I prefer to move cautiously though and get my feet wet first. I plan on hiring one person this year, and spending about two weeks advertising with flyers, plan on putting out about 2000. Don't worry too much, once spring breaks, a couple of thousand flyers and a little advertising will get you all you need.

4. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah, I didn't offer just mowing, I offered mulching, mowing, landscaping, prunning, gutter cleaning, granular fertilizing, the correction of drainage problems, plant and shrub removal, and just about anything else in the lawn and landscaping field. I picked up about 35 mowing accounts throughout the season, at least half wanted mulching, and almost everyone had something done in the other services I had offered. Think about it, You mow a 30 dollar yard for 7 months, you make about 840 dollars (give or take a week or two). A good muclhing job and a little landscaping can make you that in a day or so.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It's great to hear you had such great luck with your flyer campaign. It gives me hope. Last year I sent out 5000 postcards and received only 1/2% (at most) response rate. This year I am sending out 30,000 flyers to 14,000 homes. Most I will hit 3 times.

It's going to be interesting in what kind of response rate I get.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

As others have said, make sure there is some call to action on your flyers. Offer a $25 discount (for example) if they call and agree to a service by such-and-such a date. Otherwise, it's too easy to just dump the flyer in with the rest of the recyle paper.

7. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Each spring (1st week of March ) we pass 1500 color flyers listing all of our services. I would say we net 10 new customers that we want to service. The other 5-10 that call and we go look at usually just don't fit in with our mix. We target homes in the $ 300,000- $ 500,000 + range. This will be the last year to pass them out unless I go to a second crew and I'm not excited about that. I run one 3 man crew for 9 months out of the year.

Hope this helps a little!

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

AFFTANDUM. I have heard anywhere from 300 to 800 a day. I am starting this year myself so I dont have an answer but a lot depends on lot sizes, setback etc. Make sure you have a peddlers license (if needed). I always thought I got a good response when confronted about the permit and I could show them. Kind of gave them the impression that you follow the rules. A free offer (or preceived free offer) always improves your chances, as well as hitting the same neighborhood several times (pass out 2500 in the same neighborhood 4 times) rather than all 10,000 at 1 house each.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes...I am offering 3 Free Mowings and I also put CALL NOW! with my phone number underneath that. I think I should have put in large caps something like "Limited Time Offer". Offering 3 free mowing may be a mistake, but drastic situations call for drastic measures. I need to gain at least 40 mowing accounts in order to justify quitting my full-time job. My goal also includes to pick up at least 20 chem app clients.

I am hitting approx 10,000 homes....3 different times. Last year my 5,000 homes hit one time was a disaster.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker, whatever you do, make sure the promo includes a deadline. "Call now" won't cut it most of the time. We all tend to respond if there is a risk of losing out on something.

I have to tell you that three free mowings is really excessive. You might want to ask some others, but that strikes me either giving away too much work or giving people the impression that you're desperate. That is no way to begin a negotiation. The desperate party loses negotiations, which means your rates will be awful.