1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How many gallons per 1,000 with your spray rig?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bcg, Feb 6, 2014.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I'm trying to get things calibrated so I can get the most done in a day without having to refill my spray tank. When I initially calibrated things, I had it spraying 7.5 gallons per 1,000 sq/ft but as I work the numbers, that just won't do. So I'm now working on getting my nozzle and pressure settings so that I can treat 1,000 sq/ft with about 3 gallons.

I'm curious to know if that's in line with the rest of you, if its a little high or a little low.

At 3 gal/1,000, I can treat 68k with one tank, which comes to roughly 13 properties at an average of 5,000 sq/ft of turf. I think that should put me at about mid-day needing to refill, which works OK. But I'm new to this so I could be way wrong...

2. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Keep in mind your nozzle compliments your calibration. I usually set my gpm to where I want to be utilizing the regulator and calibrate without the nozzle. The nozzle comes into play after I have the flow rate established. With all that set you will have proper atomization of liquid without excessive recoil on the gun or over-spray.

3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

With my skids I try to get them to 1:1 ratio. New guys typically do good at 1.5-2 gal per k.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The most important question is: are you adding fertilizer to your liquid mixture? If yes, you cannot get the solution highly concentrated, as it might burn the grass. Then 3 gals per thousand sqft is about right.

However, if you are not adding urea or other fertilizer--then you can spray a lot less water as carrier for your herbicide. Try to get down to a gallon per thousand sqft. Easy, reduce pressure to about 50; you may need to go with a different nozzle--perhaps a JD-9 spray gun. Or T-Jet.
    http://www.teejet.com/media/7b90a63a-d96d-4f3d-8099-a73af1117493-CAT50-US_LoRes_p111.pdf

5. bcg

from Tx

I am spraying urea, 1/2# per 1,000. I'm using this gun - https://www.gnci.org/mag-i-do-all-kit-assembly - with the yellow nozzle. I can try the blue and see if I can get it adjusted down and still get good coverage.

I think I'm going to play around with it some over the weekend and see how I can dial it in.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am doing 2g/k
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

How are you liking that gun? Is it as heavy as a JD9?

8. bcg

from Tx

I don't really have that much experience with it yet, and have never used a JD9, but it seems well built. It isn't super light but it isn't all that heavy either. I think the hose is probably going to get heavy a lot sooner than the gun, no matter which gun it is but like I said, I'm still new to this so we'll see.

9. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i've got a 100 gallon skid and 50 gallon skid. I've got both of them calibrated at 1.5 Gallons per k with the blue lesco spray tips / chemlawn guns. I get about 100k sq. ft. out of a fill. I only spray pre/post emergent and i end up going granular on any fert i have to put down.

10. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

you put down fert with this as well at 2 gal/1k?