How many gallons?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KTO Enterprises, Aug 20, 2007.

1. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey I have an area that a developer wants herbicide sprayed. How many gallons of mixed chemical do you think it would take to treat 10-12 acres?
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is a very broad question!

#1) What herbidide are you spraying?
    #2) What are you trying to kill?

I spray as little as 8 gallons per acre and get excellent control with most products, but many spray up to 30 gallon/acre. If you are using a contact spray then definitly go on the high end!

What kind of sprayer to you have and what kind of tips?

Have you ever calibrated your sprayer as far as gal/1000 or gal/ac?

If not that is what I would do first. Once you know your gallons per acre load up and go!
  3. KTO Enterprises

Well I will be spraying roundup pro.

I am currently looking for a 3pt hitch pto driven boom sprayer. I figured somewhere on the 30 to 40 gallons per acre mark,
    Only other thing I am currently at a loss for is how much to charge for this kind of volume.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you are using Roundup then you can definitly get by with 8 or 10 gallon per acre!

Roundup translocates in the plant so entire coverage isn't needed.

You can spray 30-40 gallon of water but it is definitly a waste of water and all you will be doing is filling up all the time!
  5. KTO Enterprises

How would you mix it? I usually mix roundup at 2% for spot treatment. Would a high concentration and low volume work better or as good as a low concentrate and high volume?
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Good question!

Selecting the rate of Roundup depends on the following:

Type of Glyphoste you are using (41% vs. 51%)
    Kind of weeds (grasses are typically easier to kill then broadleaves)
    Size of weeds (the bigger the weed the more you need due to growing points)
    Environmental conditions (the slower the weed is growing the higher the rate)

I am not familiar with Roundup Pro, as I use generic glyphosate. When using a 41% Gly I usually go between 16-40 oz/ac (depends on the items listed above).
    If you have very large weeds I would go with the high end of 32-40 oz/ac. If the weeds are smaller then 6" you can go on the lower end about 16-20 oz.

If in question of what rate to use...I usually go with the higher rate. You want to go for the kill, as if you just tick of the plant it will be much harder to kill the next time.

Also, for a better kill when using Glyphosate always add AMS (ammonium sulfate) to your water before adding the Glyphosate. This will increase your kill rate big time by softening your water and also increase leaf intake when applied
  7. KTO Enterprises

Thanks for the info! This is for a large developer that I do on average 50 hours of bush hogging per month.

I was thinking about charging somewhere between 300 to 400 per acre.

I have found several 3 point 55 gallon boom sprayers for around the $850 range.

I figure close to $500-600 for chemicals. The one job would easily cover cost of the sprayer, materials and put a couple gs in my pockets
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Here is a good site discussing how AMS helps Glyphosate act better!

I personally wouldn't use Roundup Pro! I would use a generic glyphosate which you can get at any farm store.

You should be able to buy Gly for around $20/gallon in 2.5 gallon jugs.

For 12 acres even using the 40 oz rate that is only 4 gallon of product. It shouldn't cost you any more then $80.00 for Glyphosate for the total acreage.

Good luck getting that much per acre! Usually the more acres the less per acre. I would do that amount of acreage for $75-100/acre. I would go with the lower end if a big open area, and on the higher end if it is broken up or a lot of obstacles (trees).

Your costs are very low using Glyphosate! That price wouldn't go over here anyway!
  9. KTO Enterprises

One thing I have found is developers have money. They are also willing to spend it. This same developer spends 125 per hour with me and all i am cutting is weeds that are thigh high, as I am there once a month. Plus there is no one else around that offers this service.
  10. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

I think that your application here would fall under the "chemical mowing" section of the label. If you are using a 41% glyphosate, or Roundup Original(I'd use a generic to keep costs down), then you can spray between 8 and 64 ounces per acre of active ingredient.

If you calibrate your sprayer to put out 10 gallons per acre of spray, then you would want to use about 25(2.5 per gallon) ounces per acre of product for a 2% solution or about 50(5 per gallon) ounces per acre of product for a 4% solution.
    (#of gallons per acre x 128) x .02 or .04 = ounces per gallon/acre.

I have never personally seen the need for more than 4%.

I pay about $55 for a 2.5 of generic 41% gly. That's about $.17 per ounce or if you use a 4% solution it's about $8.50 per acre. So cost of product is minimal and it will probably take you about 5 gallons of product to spray 12 acres. I'm near you in Georgia and we should be close economically. My normal charge for spraying/spreading is $160 per acre. For this much acreage though, I'd give the guy a break if I were doing it. I'd probably do the job for around $1000-$1200 depending on actual acreage. I'd consider other factors also like how much business does he do with you, is this a one time thing, are there possibilities for future work, etc.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. 4% solution and calibrate to spray 10 gallons per acre is what I'd do, and have done with great success.

I was writing this as rcreech was posting :)

Looks like I almost copied what he said!

So I'll say " Yea, what he said" (almost) :)

Oh yea, I forgot to add the AMS thingy. That really works well. Also, if the area is close to other houses, lawns or other desirable turf then you may want to think about a drift control additive as well.

And $300-400 per acre will probably not get the job. If you can get it with that price that's awesome and more power to ya, but I would be scared to even throw out a price like that!

Scared he would say - "Hey are you ripping me off on my brush hogging too?!" :)