How many glad not to plow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfcutters Plus, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

How many solos don't plow in winter?I got out after a successful 7 year run.It's snowing 3-6'' today.I'm so happy i can hardly contain myself!:usflag::cool2:

2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the opposite. I wish i was plowing. don't get me wrong, waking up at 2am and seeing it snow and being able to roll back over is a beautiful thing, but i need the money.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'm glad, Fall and Winter are the only times I can travel. I go back East to NY, PA, and OH every fall, I've been to Israel the last 2 winters. I couldn't just disappear for 2 weeks if I had snow contracts.:cool2:

4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Thats one thing about plowing,you can't travel.Actually its the salting events that keep me home. One day I would just like to enjoy a snowstorm at home. But, the money right now is tooooooo goooood!!!!!!!!!!

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im plowing as a sub this winter after giving up my route 6 yrs ago. That was after plowing since I was 17 ( Im 45 now) Made $2300 last week subbing so wasnt bad. The deal I have with the guy is when Im around I will work , When I feel like taking off ( do a lot of 5 day snowmobile trips) I have no obligation.So far so good, Im sure Ill be sick of it again by the end of Febuary

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I tried to get out this year by doubling some prices. They were a little slow getting back to me, so I figured I was done with it. WRONG! They still wanted me back. Arghhh.

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

carcrz bet we couldnt get away with doubling prices on mowing , sure wish we could tho

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Carcrz: You guys been getting a lot of accumulating snow up there in Missouri? We've been getting traces to a few inches here in OK, but nothing worth getting excited about. Just wondering.....

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

So, what can ya'll make plowing? What can you make off a storm? In a day? In a month?
    Just curious.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Believe me, I was shocked they still went for it. I kind of was hoping they wouldn't. I enjoy my winters off for vacations & time off.

We've been getting 2 to 3" about every 5 days. It's been nice, but I kind of wish we'd get some accumulation of 7 or 8" so we can really make some cash.

It really depends on the customer, but a typical 1 to 3" snow & all commercial lots could bring anywhere from 3 to 7 thousand as a one man operation. Keep in mind that ice is what makes such the variation in price. It's not uncommon for it to rain for a few hours at the beginning of the storm producing lots of ice underneath all the white stuff. This is a bear when you have hills. I always pretreat those areas so it keeps icing to a minimum.