How many guys on a crew?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Luke S., Jan 3, 2014.

1. Luke S.

Luke S. LawnSite Member

Should you always have at least two guys working together, or can you get away with just one guy when you start?

2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The most efficient is for one man to be working alone because you're only paying 1 man for travel time which you don't get paid for. Also the workers usually get done at slightly different times so there is some sitting around going on with a crew. Obviously if he isn't very motivated, or you don't trust him that needs to be taken into consideration. When he is sick, or gone for whatever reason it's a lot more tough to fill in. He is single handed representing your business. You need to have the right type of guy to pull this off. If you do, it can work. If you hire a random guy and don't ever work with him or know what he's doing - he could really damage your business.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Ah I disagree. You need a two man crew. In wouldn't even consider working for you if you ran one man crews. I can knock on some doors and do that myself
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

In the off season we go down to a one man crew, but I would recommend running a two man crew for the most part during the regular season, what happens when he gets sick? or God forbid hurt while on a job! he'll get burned out when it gets really hot in July and Aug also. It CAN be done with the right person but I wouldn't keep him out there by himself for long. You definitely need to be out selling more work fairly quick if you go this route.

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on a lot of things.

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Like what? You have commented about every post, don't keep us hanging share with us what the factor's would be!

7. boucherlawn

boucherlawn LawnSite Member

I believe with the right 3 guys, a 3 man lawn crew can be most effective however without the right management the 3rd guy ends up being wasted so I went back to 2 guys for now. My landscape crew has 4 guys on it, but again I'm battling back and forth between whether 3 or 4 guys would be more efficient there.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I think it depends on the properties, we have two days where we run a one man crew for efficiency reasons.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I think it just really depends on how your setup, are your accounts all really close together? how many? there is no magic number here. Sometimes we need two sometimes all we need is one. I would agree that billable hrs would be your best judge. Do you consistently have 40 hrs of billable work? the key word here is consistently.

10. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

2 man crews are the most profitable for us in the residential market. There is one day a week it would be nice to have a 3rd man out with them but the numbers are not there.