How many guys use residential lawn tractors?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, Jul 15, 2006.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many guys started off with a residential tractor. How many still use one today? I have very few accounts that could use a ride on as most of the lots around here are 4000 - 7000 square feet including driveways and patios and house., So I was thinking of getting a John Deere 125 Lawn Tractor from Home Depot, what do you guys think?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

A kid on my street made alot of money with and old Murry from Walmart? Of course after a few years of mowing at 1 3/4 inches there are more weeds than grass on his lawns. So what do you have to loose by buying one?
  3. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

personally, I wouldnt. Looks unprofessional. go buy a 52" commercial walk behind. I love laughing at the guys with the tractors - dont be that guy.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly what he said. Only I would get a 48 or if the lawns have gated back yards I would get a 36 or a Gravely 34Z. I feel a 36 is the perfect size to start out with on the smaller yards like you have then as you grow you can keep the 36 and also get a larger ZTR or WB.
  5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You could probably mow a 4000 sf lot with a 21 faster than the lawn tractor, with all the stopping, backing up and three point turns you will have to do. For not much more $ you can get a 36" walkbehind than will literally run circles around a residential lawn tractor.
  6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use my Toro 266-H as I have not put either of my Toro Groundsmasters back together. Toro sure put a piece of junk transaxle on the 266-H, as it is leaking now at a ripe young age of 625 hours. As my health is improving and I catch up I will get one Groundsmaster running and then my Case 448. But the 266-H turns "really" sharp for a tractor. The GM sucks when trying to pull a sweeper. The 266 moves barely fast enough to pull the sweeper and keep the brushes turning fast enough.
  7. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

i use a toro time cutter 16/42 I do small yards
  8. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

haveing a tractor aint bad because u have that towing power and can use it for alot more things than just mowing. i use it all year round i think its gettting tired. i want to get rid of it and get a better mower but we dont have the time nor money to get one.
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That is reason I am fan of a garden tractor. Nothing against ZTRs or walk behinds. The versitility is a big plus.

One can, and often does, argue that you can buy attachments and tow with a ZTR. I don't think a ZTR does a good a job of takeing on these other tasks IMHO.
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I started in '99 with a Scott's 25/54 from Home Depot. I'd give anything to get her back. Like losing an old friend.