how many guys work on your on stuff??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnguy268, Feb 3, 2007.

1. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

It seems like more and more people are just going to the shop and spending x amount of dollars on simple repairs. I just got a echo PB400E from a guy who used to landscape he said he hasnt used it in more than 2 years. And than said I could take it for 50$. I cleaned the spark plug. Cleaned the air filter and it blows like a champ . anyway do most of you guys do your own repairs or just have some one else do them.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I do what I know how to do, which unfortunately isn't much. I figure it is cheaper to have it done that to have it blow up & buy a whole new machine. On my Redmax, I had already replaced it w/ something else, so I took it apart & did some R & R. Glad I did too because the Redmax dealer put the wrong bolt in the wrong place & it was hitting on something causing it to lock up. $0.20 fix for a problem they have been trying to figure out for the last year!

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We try to do our own reapirs depends on the extent of the fix.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to add that I always put a post on here while I am learning so that I can help others along the way in case they come across the same situation.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i do 99.9% of my own mech work. i would go broke if i didnt

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Do you pay yourself an hourly rate while you are doing your own repairs? If not, it's lost $$$$. if you're spending the time that you aren't cutting by working on your equipment yourself and not charging your company for the personal overtime spent, the business is running you instead of you running the business. You should be charging enough that when you stop mowing for the day and go home, you don't have to do any additional unpaid work and can spend the time relaxing or with your family.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I try to do around 90% of our repairs and do all of it after hours or on weekends because I enjoy it. I think I would make twice as much repairing stuff as mowing grass if I had to do a tradeoff.

8. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I take care of all the equipment maintainence and repair my self. My business pays me a normal hourly rate for it. The only time I use a shop is when its warranty work.

With some service manuals, general knowledge/common sense, and organization, you can learn to do just about anything yourself. Lawn care equipment is actually quite simple to repair, relatively few factors involved in problems.

The problem is, no repair shop can diagnose a problem like you can. You run the equipment, and know what the problem is, when it happens, etc. They can't necessarily reproduce it in the shop.
    It is really a problem for the shop if the problem is periodic/sporadic, or comes to light only under on the job conditions which can't be recreated in the shop. The shop almost has to work in the blind in such a case.

Over all, it seems I can take care of maintainence and repair as well, if not better than the shops I have around.

I do most vehicle maintainence and some repairs. But vehicle are alot more complicated thanks to electronics, computers, lots of wiring, etc. So, I rely on a shop for certain diagnosis and repairs.

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

My father in law works on all my equipment,trucks,etc. He's been a master tech for 40 years and works on them very cheap

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I do most all of my own repair work. It saves money and I am able to do it at night or when I'm not mowing. If I get in a jam, I might bring it to my dealer but mostly I do the repairs myself.

Being a Certified 4 stroke engine Technician definitly has some perks. I guess high school wasn't a total loss.