How many have customers that tip?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Oct 5, 2004.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have one customer that is just unreal in his loyality and graditude in that he tips 20% on every single week on every single invoice. When he first did it I thought he overpaid by mistake and mentioned it to him and he so, no no that is a tip for the wonderful service. He never ask for anything extra or complains and has never missed tipping a single cut and was my first customer early in the season to re-sign up for next year. Some of the PITA's could take a lesson from this customer. :p

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  2. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fiew who threw a fiew extra $ my way after a spring or fall cleanup. I always go out of my way for those customers :angel:

MMLawn likes this.
  3. Randys Lawn Service

Randys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

One of my best clients tips $5 every time and this weekend gave me a gift card to Home Depot. Like many of you, I enjoy working for people like that. Many times a simple "thanks, that sure looks good" Makes a guy feel good all day!!!

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

It happens occasionally. Someone may throw in a few extra bucks for a job well done or perhaps they've made me wait a little long for payment and they will add in a little extra for the inconvenience. Then around Christmas a few will become generous, gift certificates and things like that. When it happens my standard response is "while it certainly wasn't necessary, it's very much appreciated. Thank you."

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Not much on the money side, but every thurdsay, a house I do a lady comes out, asks how I am doing, and gives me a bottle of water. It really makes my day a lot better, and like stated above, don't mention giving that yard a little more detail.

6. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

I mowed for a couple that had a large site by a river. They were trying to sell the place. Took them 5 hours with an old tractor w/48" deck. Mowed too short, looked like heck. I mowed it long for a month. New growth filled in. I did a nice stripe job on my last mow (it sold the next day) and it looked awesome! They gave about 30% extra on that last mow. I got a check for $275.00 from them later, thanking me for doing a better job than the realtor. They sold to some doctor that was driving by, drove in made an offer without even seeing the asking price. :cool2: They referred me to him but I haven't
    got a call and it hasn't been mowed but twice since the first of august. Go figure.
    Another customer (older guy who was a contractor years ago) leaves cash under the Weber grill cover. It's always there and occasionally there's been an extra $5.00, steakhouse gift cert., screwdriver set, among other things. He fertilizes the H*** out of his lawn so I've been mowing every 3-5 days all summer.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have gotten tips from customers before.

one said buy land the other said buy stocks.

GEO

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same here along with don't eat the yellow snow, don't smoke in bed, and plant your corn early.

CamLand likes this.
  9. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I have a couple that will come out and give the crew $10 or $20. I never see the money I just hear about it. I do have one customer that sends me passes to the movies every season with the last bill.

10. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

i have a 3 acre lot that i cut and i would say it takes about 2 1/2 hours get paid $150 to do the job and another $20 tip every single week. And the house is a old small house dont look like they have money but they do. I will break my neck for them.