How many have decided to stick to their guns this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Mar 26, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

How many seasoned LCO's have decided to give a quote based on their operating cost and business profit?

Or do you still have weak legs when a customer say's...so and so did it for X amount last year and all you want is this business???

kc

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's a tough one to answer because I found I can still get weak legs (there's more than one way to skin this cat, and unless all your shields are up all of the time)... thou I will say I have been known to call back to let someone know I will not come out to do the work, should I realize later down the road that I've been had, or I may just not show up.

Type of thing of fool me once (more than once in the years)... And just because you got me because I wasn't paying attention doesn't mean I'm coming out. I'm better off staying at home than working for free or paying them to work on their yard.

To me a lot of it is just the same old song and dance anymore... They really don't have someone else, such-and-such who did it for less either doesn't exist or at the very least is not there right now, and quite unlikely to ever show up... Really they just want something for nothing, and they're quite used to doing it and they know what they're doing. In other words, what they're saying may be true, but what is for sure is that it's a practiced speech, or a learned spiel <- If it wasn't, then why do so many folks do it?

But whatever, pay me what I want to get, take it or leave it.
    One way, or the other.

p.s.: I am almost 100 percent certain I'll end up with a few, but I aim to make it less than last year.
    And if that's all that comes out of it, I hope I can rest at night.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Right now I'am doing my lawn cutting contracts for last years customers.I bumped them up a little and like last year I wrote up the fuel surcharge amounts, no problem last year so no problem this year. This year anybody new will pay even a higher rate.I rather go easy on my existing customers because it's still cheaper to keep them.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I am increasing every yard this year anywhere from 2 ot 5 bucks regardless of the outcome. This is the year Im going for broke, all or none and I really feel good about it.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

prices have been raised $3 per cut due to increase cost of gas, dumping, and insurance. on a 30 cut season that's only $90 more for each customer. doesn't sound like much but with 70 accounts it adds up. last year from june on i was charging a gas surcharge. in june it was .25 cents and in november it was $1. the cost of dumping has in the past 2 years has doubled so i charged a $15 dumping surcharge, which breaks down to .50 cents a cut. another .25 cents for insurance and another .25 cents for wear and tear on the equipment and truck. the rest is profit.

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sticking this year, Ive already done a few $30 minimum estimates where the potential customer mentioned I was $5 higher then other quotes they had gotten. Some of the lawn were really really small but I have to make it worth sending two guys over to do it.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My minimum charge is 35 and that is for a super small yard. Most will not be less than 40. The 35 ones will have to be small enough I can get in and out in less than 25 minutes or it will be 40 and above. We have several that their minimum is 50 and they have plenty of accounts but do good work to.

8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I got a call from one of my flyers this year. This person lived on a corner lot and had step ups in the yard. I quoted $40, pretty good size lot. They said they had called me because the guy they had last year was going up from $20 to $25. I told them that they wouldn't be able to find anyone else to do it for that and suggested that they continue to use the guy if they were happy with the quality of work.

9. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats right. It feels good to know your cost of business and not let the bs of customers pull you into their trap only to be hating life come June.

kc

10. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

So far this season every quote I have given has been based off of my hourly rate, I have not come down on price for anyone. I have landed all but 2 spring cleanup's, I have had people say you really seem to know what you are talking about, the last guy couldnt tell me what anything was.